Carnival Legend Cruise Review by MarcyReally: Had a great time

Family & Children 5.0

Had a great time

Sail Date: June 2014
Embarkation: Tampa

It has been 29 years since the last time I was on a cruise from any provider. My husband isn't a cruiser-type. I've been busy attending college, working as a public accountant, having my babies and then raising them and working as a private school administrator. This was a surprise high school graduation gift for my oldest son and I brought my youngest son along too. There didn't seem to be a lot of activities or places for teens aged 18 to 20 to hang out other than the pool. My 16-year-old son LOVED the Club O2--thanks for having that available-- had really enjoyed being able to hang with kids his age and he loves his shirt from the last day. I loved the photography options/backdrops, that would have been something I would like to have known before-hand, I would have coordinated our outfits better! I did spend quite a bit of money on photos, so I thank you for having that available. Having a port in Tampa helped with the decision to do it on my own (without my husband). I really More enjoyed the trip but most especially since there was no sickness onboard the Legend! This was one of my major concerns; the other was whether I could do this without my husband. I always felt safe, so thank you for that. We scuba dived twice and everything went as planned. The food was excellent; we dined in the Truffles restaurant nightly--that was a treat too! I wish every guest followed the dress code though--nothing Carnival can do about that. My only complaint is the smoking on the Lido deck. It made me not want to walk through the pool-level deck ever or hang out by the pool! The cigar smoke and cigarette smoke seemed to stay stagnate around the pool and most of the tables were full of people smoking. The decor was quite shocking--never quite got used to it, i.e. it will forever be memorable. Our stateroom was perfect! We had a balcony room and the size was perfect, the bathroom was excellent also; our cabin steward was excellent also, love the towel animals! Overall we had a great time even though we couldn't get into Roatan--my kids were saved from "having" to go scuba dive 3 days in a row! Great job Carnival! Less

Published 07/27/14

Read more Carnival Legend cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Legend Review >>

Cabin review: 6155

Great location, the extended balcony was super. We went scuba diving in several ports and it provided a place for our gear to dry to a degree that we could bring it in and completely dry out of the humidity. Although I couldn't see around the wall of extended balconeys toward the front of the ship it was okay because I got a great deal on the cabin!

Scuba Diving

Diving with Hugh Parkey's Belize Dive Connection was a great experience. Skipping the cruise ship tender was worth the extra money. The dive masters and crew were wonderful, friendly and helpful. I have never been on a dive boat that the guys/gals helped or even requested that they change out the gear from the 1st to the 2nd dive. This was wonderful because I was with my 2 teenage boys, they sort of know how to set up their gear but I would have needed to do all 3 sets by myself. These guys were great, the coral however was dead. I wish they wouldn't throw the anchor on top of the reef. They need to campaign the government for mooring buoys. We went to Mid Point and Pine Ridge reefs. The sponges were cool, the colors were fluorescent! I would highly recommend this shore excursion.

America's Cup

We didn't know what to expect but it was a fun little sail, although short. I think the course could have been set out of the port area, maybe more offshore so the legs of the race were longer. Not to be too picky since the sailboat is no longer actually racing but the sails on the Canadian boat are blown out. The tour operator was a great guy though. A fun time was had by all.

Scuba - Certified

Diving with Don Foster's Dive Shop. The coral reefs were beautiful, the water was so clear, the fish were fun to watch and the turtle that stopped to watch US was really cool. We went to Wall Street reef and Paradise Cove reef then Wreck of the Oro Verde. I really wish we could have gone to more of a wall but we did come off a cruise ship, they don't know anyone's skill level. Compared to diving in Belize City the diving was excellent but there was absolutely no help with the equipment. I was spoiled by the operator in Belize City that helped with changing out the equipment for my 2 teenage boys. These guys never offered any help other than maybe offering a hand up the ladder (not for me though--no one close enough to offer a hand). I have been diving in the Caymans before and the reefs still look great which is very encouraging that the government is enforcing nature protection laws. I highly recommend this shore excursion. Don't miss diving the Caymans!!!

Skip X