Crown Princess Cruise Review by carolnyc: Good value and Alaska is a destination must see

carolnyc
Member Since 2014

Compare Prices on Crown Princess Alaska Cruises

Good value and Alaska is a destination must see

Sail Date: July 2014
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Vancouver

I depend a lot on reviews so I feel obligated to write one in return.

We arrived at 1 to a big huge mess. We had taken a taxi to be dropped off right near the entrance only to be asked to turn around and go back to the street. We lined up for an hour just to the entrance of the security check in when a rep told us to get out of line to drop off our luggage. She did not tell us that we would lose our place in line for doing this! Luckily, another volunteer was compassionate and we probably fell only 10 minutes back from our previous spot. After that, it was another 2 hrs through immigration/customs before reaching the Princess counter. If you are reading this Princess...please do not have similar embarkation times to another ship in the same terminal.

I loved our cabin. Our "obstructed view" cabin was barely obstructed! We were on the 8th floor which was perfect because it was only one flight down from the promenade deck where most activities took place. We were also More safely on the other side of the buffet for which my belly was grateful. We were not directly in front of the stairway/elevator but close enough for it to be handy. Our stateroom was clean. The tv programs need updating. I am now "platinum" on Princess and they are still showing the SAME programs. Please update! Our window was good and we could enjoy glaciers without venturing outside.

We had our first experience with "anytime" dining which was great. The servers were all excellent. The food was mediocre at best. It was subpar compared to other ships and the desserts were all way too sweet. Let's just say it was average but not fine dining. The 24 hr international cafe had some great salads options. There is always something to be found at the Horizon Buffet. I actually enjoyed the food there much more but it's nice to be served once in awhile. There are much better options on Celebrity. Sorry but true.

The gym was crowded and I never used it. I actually had enough room in my modest stateroom to work out!

We never bought anything on the ship. The photo gallery took good pictures but way overpriced. Why not sell the prints electronically? I would have bought many files if so.

I really enjoyed the silent policy on the ship. I cannot tell you how many times I have been annoyed with constant announcements in the stateroom. Peace and quiet was such a delight.

The ports were excellent. I booked all of our excursions privately to avoid higher charges. Island Wings in Ketchikan (fine), took public bus to go to see eagles on the beach in Juneau (could have skipped this), Sockeye bike ride in Skagway (LOVED), Major Marine Surprise Glacier tour in Skagway (Very good and saw more wildlife during those 5.5 hrs than in 7 day cruise). Then we took the cruise back down to Vancouver. Skagway Floats in Skagway (good, not too eventful but I was travelling with my mother and she liked it a lot), Mendenhall Glacier (just take a $10 one way bus from the stands off the ship..this was phenomenal must see!), and then went on a mapped walk in Ketchikan (great if you are there during the salmon run)! Seeing Glacier Bay National Park is breathtaking. We saw College Fjord northbound but with bad weather and Hubbard Glacier southbound. All the glaciers are a must see and you will be very humbled by its beauty. Throughout the cruise, you feel that you are walking in nature and beauty. I think everyone should go on an Alaskan cruise. It is visually stunning!

Disembarkation was a breathe! Thank goodness!

All in all, a good cruise. Weather plays a major part. Staff is nice, food could be improved. Entertainment was ok. Commercialization was a bit much but bearable. For the price that we paid, we are very satisfied. The value is outstanding. Less

Read more Crown Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Crown Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Crown Princess e230

I loved our cabin. Our "obstructed view" cabin was barely obstructed! We were on the 8th floor which was perfect because it was only one flight down from the promenade deck where most activities took place. We were also safely on the other side of the buffet for which my belly was grateful. We were not directly in front of the stairway/elevator but close enough for it to be handy. Very satisfied!