Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by arianatravel: Very Disappointing

Very Disappointing

Sail Date: July 2014
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

This cruise was our only summer vacation; and we were all very excited for this prime destination and for some quality family time on board the Norwegian Jewel. We are a family of four, and we have also invited a set of grandparents to share some "fun" time with us. This was our fifth cruise, and all the other cruises were nothing but great experiences (including on NCL in Hawaii - one of the reasons to be back on NCL, right?).

This ship was the dirtiest we have been on. The state rooms were very small, and so were the lounges on the ship. The cabin was dirty and small. I had to wipe the shelves in the closet before placing my clothes in them. The light at the entrance into the cabin wasn't working and the room steward tried to explain to me that I did not need it. I had to use a flash light to find my clothes on the shelves. I had to ask again to be fixed and it was done after three days. The open decks, pools, and hot tubs were useless because, even though we had no rain at More all (how lucky!), due to 50 degree weather and high winds - quite typical for Alaska - they were uninhabitable! The pool area should really be indoors, considering the destination. Everybody was crowded inside. At meal times it was impossible for our party of six to sit together at the buffet, unless we got there right when it opened. If you were hungry later, tough luck! So much about our family time! Not to mention that the food, neither in the dinning room, nor at the buffet was great. Except for the first day, the rest was mediocre the most. "Baby" back ribs felt like "grandpa pig"; very little seafood was served (what happened to the famous Alaskan king crab, halibut?), and no vegetables. Last day's dish of red snapper in the dinning room came with a tea spoon of mashed potatoes and two tiny slices of zucchini. The soups were the worst of all. I guess one has to go eat at the specialty restaurants if he/she wants a decent meal. After I payed a few thousands (five figures!) for the six of us, I shouldn't have to spend more for a quality meal. The staff tried their best to be nice, but some just spoke too little English. The minute we requested something out put of their norm, they wouldn't understand. Entertainment on the ship was nice, even above expectations. I feel that the value I got for the money was not adequate.

Family from Colorado Less

Read more Norwegian Jewel cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Jewel Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Jewel 9606/9608

Cabin was dirty and small. I had to wipe the shelves in the closet before placing my clothes in them. The light at the entrance into the cabin wasn't working and the room steward tried to explain to me that I did not need it. I had to use a flash light to find my clothes on the shelves. I had to ask again to be fixed and it was done after three days.