Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by SamWiseinKY: Disappointing, but still okay

Compare Prices on Freedom of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Disappointing, but still okay

Sail Date: July 2014
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

This is the 4th RCI cruise for me. The personnel are still tip-top, and the Sea Blaster (Sting Ray swim and Turtle Swim) out of St. Thomas was the best excursion I've ever been on-a real bucket list day.

The food was exceptional as always too. The cabin personnel, and everyone working the ship gave 110 % at all times. The stage shows were a little disappointing, because there were no "name" broadway shows as on past cruises (like Chicago), but still were good enough.

There were two things that really really disappointed-first, the promised port time of 7 hours in St. Thomas was cut by an hour without explanation, and without any weather-related issues. Instead of noon to 7, it was 1 p.m to 7. That made a huge difference to me. The 3 & 1/2 hour excursion in a 7 hour window left enough time to taxi to downtown to shop before leaving. But when it was short-changed to 6 hours, I had to miss the downtown shopping. Again, if there was some sort of weather or mechanical More issue, it would have been understandable, but to just cut it meant I missed out on part of my plans.

The second issue: for nearly every single meal, RCI only opened one-half of the Windjammer buffet line and seating area. If that were because that area wasn't needed, it would make sense. But then at every meal, the Windjammer staff made an announcement, (Paraphrasing here): "Welcome to Windjammer, enjoy your meal, but please eat quickly and leave because we are crowded and other guests are wanting to eat."

That didn't make anyone feel very welcome at all at Windjammer. I hope this was an isolated thing, because I've always enjoyed all the RCI ships in the past. Less

Read more Freedom of the Seas cruise reviews >>