Jewel of the Seas Cruise Review by dennismc: Jewel of the Seas - Forget the Naysayers!

dennismc
Member Since 2006

Family & Children 5.0

Compare Prices on Jewel of the Seas Southern Caribbean Cruises

Jewel of the Seas - Forget the Naysayers!

Sail Date: July 2014
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

Embarkation was super-fast (less than 15 minutes).

For a ten year old ship, I thought the Jewel was in excellent condition! She was very clean and the crew were constantly housekeeping and maintaining the common spaces. All of the elevators worked and the pools were invitingly clean. The gym was really nice with a large number of treadmills and an excellent selection of weight machines with no wait required.

Of special note was the Captain (his name escapes me), he ran a tight ship and during the muster drill made the announcement that “underage drinking would not be tolerated and that parents were responsible for their children”, it was the first time I have heard a Captain say that, and it was beautiful! Even better, it worked.

We stayed in cabin 9588, on the hump, and really enjoyed it. Leif was our room attendant and he did a great job. We were right off the Centrum, but never heard the sounds from it in our room. You could hear More “noise” in the hallway but only up to 11:00 pm (when the entertainment stopped).

The crew was great. That’s not to say I didn’t run into a couple that were less than friendly, but I attributed most of that to fatigue more than rudeness. Our MDR waiter Jeffery and his assistant Martin were really good and rarely missed a beat, which is quite a feat for seven straight nights. Speaking of food, we found each night to have a varied and delicious selection, especially when the amount of people to be fed is taken into consideration. I love the dinners on cruises because it’s one of the few times we spend 1 ½ hours sitting, eating, and talking as a family. We didn’t eat in the specialty restaurants because we never felt the need to.

There was plenty of nightly entertainment and some nights were better than others. Of special note were showman Kenny James and ventriloquist, Ronn Lucas. Both were very good shows.

Debarkation had several options: self-assist, where you carried off your bags yourself, early flight, and then the regular wait for your luggage number to get off. No problems here either.

In closing, I hope I eased any worries about the Jewel. She is a great ship.

Have a great time! Less