Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by kateyrose14: You get what you pay for!

kateyrose14
Member Since 2014

Family & Children 4.2

Compare Prices on Carnival Splendor Eastern Caribbean Cruises

You get what you pay for!

Sail Date: July 2014
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

Just got back from sailing the Splendor. I had 9 people with me ranging ages from mid 40's to teens, youngest was my 10 year old. This is my 6th cruise, have sailed twice before with Carnival, twice with Royal Carribean and once with Norwegian. I have to say YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR! Carnival is a cheaper cruise, so you get cheaper service, cheaper people, cheaper food, cheaper shows, cheaper décor, cheaper everything. Although I had a good time (vacation is what you make of it), I would NOT sail the Splendor again, next time I will definitely spend the extra money and sail with RCCL. I felt like the people on this boat were lower class too. I have FOUR children so I understand children, but this boat was running rampid with unsupervised children at all hours of the night. The hallways were LOUD, I did not get the rest I anticipated on this vacation. There needs to be more supervision of kids gone wild.

I was in an oceanview room, room itself was nice, plenty of space, More however my room 2420 was located directly below the kitchen or something and it was NOISY. pots clanging, pipes banging, I could hear every single word the people in the next room were saying. This is not good. This boat is HORRIBLY DECORATED, whoever decorated it NEEDS TO GO BACK TO INTERIOR DESIGN SCHOOL LIKE ASAP> Did this ruin my vacation? Absolutely NOT, but it was not a pretty ship at all nor was it laid out properly. I felt like a mouse in maze trying to get cheese.

Food was....... Excellent in the Gold Pearl Dining room, TERRIBLE at the Lido BUffet. Never ate at the Buffet, THANK GOD FOR THE AFT DELI and the SEADAY BRUNCH as I would have been very mad if I hadn't had these choices to eat for breakfast or lunch. The BLT's from Room service were better than the buffet. Disappointed Carnival has done away with the midnight chocolate buffet they used to have, just another way they are cutting corners. Lines were long for food, yes, but what do you expect people there are THREE THOUSAND people on board all looking to stuff their faces every 2 hours. If you don't want lines don't contain yourself to a ship with all those people on it. Burrito bar was ok but certainly no chipotle!

Shows were NOT GOOD! The ONLY GOOD SHOW was the comedian who was from America's Got Talent, the rest were awful. I guess Carnival feels if they show some a-- from their dancers it will be good, but it wasn't. They had a white guy with bleach blond hair singing Spanish songs, no he was not good at all.

Pools were ALWAYS packed except for the evening when the late dinner was going on. We had early dinner so after our show we always went to the pool and took a dip it was the only time you could get even close to the pool.

Islands are always gorgeous, LOVED Margaritaville and Balmoral Island in Nassau. Gorgeous is an understatement. I didn't appreciate feeling like herded cattle to get off of the boat, there must be a better system. Please carnival go on a Royal Carribean cruise and see how they do it and learn from them.

Staff on RCCL are HANDS DOWN more friendly and pleasant. Not that I care about socializing with the staff but it is nice if the workers look like they want to be there and don't act like robots. Our table guy Siswanto was EXCELLENT, this man hustled everynight to serve our large family. Room guy was ok not great. did the bare minimum. BTW you can have the pre paid gratuities removed from your sail and sign account and you can give what you want.

Camp Carnival is excellent as usual, Carnival does a great job with the kids and all the counselors are excellent, my daughter went in the camp about half the time and she had a good time when she went.

Overall, If I had to sail again I would definitely go on Royal Carribean over Carnival. Carnival's reputation of the "Fun Ship" also comes with downfalls, the class of people are just lower there is no other way to say it (and mind you I am an average joe schmo from an average family, I'm not upper class myself, but people are animals on Carnival's ship). Vacation is what you make of it, I was on a ship for 8 days, not cooking, not cleaning, with my family, enjoying beautiful islands, so how bad could it be, but this is not a ship I would consider taking again.

I end my review the same way I start it YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR! Less

Read more Carnival Splendor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Splendor Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Splendor Oceanview Main 2420

cabin was beautiful do not recommend room 2420 as it is close to elevator heard tons of noise in this room