Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review by kdustin: Norwegian Dawn to Bermuda - Bean Counters Running Amok

Norwegian Dawn 0
kdustin
Member Since 2014

Overall Member Rating

Norwegian Dawn to Bermuda - Bean Counters Running Amok

Sail Date: July 2014
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: Boston

It is very important to separate the sweet smiling people taking care of us from the bean counters you feel lurking behind all the new policies on the ship. So I want to start out by saying Thank you to the great people from all over the world who work so hard to make cruising great and always have a smile for us.

Regarding the bean counters; we have been cruising for 20 years and have seen the industry change. Last time we cruised we purchased over 300 dollars worth of spa services and were told we could not have a robe and slippers without an additional $30 outlay.

This time we noticed that the juice was missing. Then we noticed a slick little glossy on the table advertising orange juice for sale, arghh. We also noticed the room service menu had been drastically reduced. That's because they charge you for some foods delivered to your door now.

This was also the first time we went on a cruise with no “lobster night”. They did have a lobster More pasta on the buffet but it was very difficult to spot any lobster among the penne.

Now I understand that decisions are made in the board room and those guys rarely consider the customer loyalty it destroys in the guest room. I see some "all inclusives" capitalizing on the bean counter's mistakes and I appalud them. I have cruised with them and found it to be a welcome relief from the constant nikel and diming. But I would think that at least one standard cruise line could stand out from the rest by returning to the good old fashioned customer-first policies that made crusing so much fun even 10 to15 years ago.

Until then I will probably lean toward the all inclusives. Sure it costs more but who wants to pay more to get off the ship than it cost to get on. And who wants to spend their vacation dodging the attack of the bean counters. Less

Published 07/23/14

Read more Norwegian Dawn cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Dawn Review >>

Compare Prices on Norwegian Dawn Bermuda Cruises

Cabin review:

The cabin was nice. The balcony was a little small but we had everything we needed. They should probably do a better job of seperating smokers balconies from non because our neighbors stunk baby! But with a good wind it was tolerable :-)

kdustin
Member Since 2014
Family & Children
Rates
Value for Money
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?
Skip X