Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review by OhOceanicShip1: A Cruise to Remember!

OhOceanicShip1
Member Since 2014

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Celebrity Eclipse Baltic & Northern Europe Cruises

A Cruise to Remember!

Sail Date: June 2014
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
Embarkation: Southampton

We sailed on the Celebrity Eclipse 21 June - 5 July. It was my 3rd cruise (first with Celebrity), and my friends had also sailed before. There were three of us together much of the time but we were with a group of over 20 altogether. We flew to London on the 19th and spent the night there, taking a bus to the ship the morning of the 21st. Embarking was flawless and very quick -- we were up on deck enjoying a drink outside before we knew it.

We were greeted with a glass of champagne as we embarked the ship and I thought this was a nice touch. The three of us shared two cabins (7226 and 7228) on Deck 7, midships and this was perfect for us due to the central location -- one way to the dining room, the other to the theatre, etc. The cabins were very clean and our stateroom attendant (her name escapes me) was very friendly and attentive.

We took Celebrity tours in all ports except Russia, and without getting into details I can only say I wish we had used Celebrity in More Russia as well. The Celebrity tours were phenomenal and very well organized. In Brugges, we enjoyed a nice walking tour along with a chocolate making demonstration. In Warnemunde and Rostock, we had a wonderful guide named Johanna who told me all about her home city of Rostock, and we enjoyed the brewery there. The seaside town of Warnemunde was so quaint and we loved going down to the beach and lighthouse. We enjoyed the "A Day in Stockholm" tour but if there was any Celebrity tour on which we felt rushed, it was this one. Still, we enjoyed the Vasa Museum and other sights in Stockholm. In Helsinki, I particularly enjoyed the visit to the Rock Church. I enjoyed the two days in Russia but I believe I would have enjoyed Russia more if we had gone with Celebrity. I will say this for Celebrity, they came through with tickets for the Russian Ballet (Swan Lake) at the Hermitage Theatre. It was fabulous. In Estonia, we enjoyed the trip to Rakvere Castle and in Denmark, a highlights were Tivoli Gardens and the evening canal cruise. One thing I was surprised about regarding the ports was that the shops at the port in Denmark did not cater to tourists. Really no souvenir shops at the port. Otherwise, all ports were fine.

On the at sea days, we participated in many activities including trivia, ping pong, bocce, and bingo. Also attended lectures on the ports, the spa seminar, and other things. There was always something to do and we were never bored. Also made use of the solarium pool and the pool itself was never crowded. Of course, it was hard to find a chair but that was to be expected -- we were in the Baltic; not everyone wanted to be outside while at sea.

We ate in the Moonlight Sonata dining room. The food was good there and we found no need or desire to try the specialty restaurants. Our waiters, Silva and Francisco, were exceptional every evening. I wish they would see this review. They worked together wonderfully as a team and I just really looked forward to seeing them every evening. We were at the fixed seating (6 pm) and that worked well for us most nights. In addition to seeing other friends that we did not see much during the day, we looked forward to seeing Silva and Francisco. Our wine steward (whose name also escapes me) was also wonderful.

We went to the shows every evening, and while I enjoyed all of them, I particularly enjoyed Jayne Curry and Mike Doyle. The magician was also fun to watch. The Eclipse orchestra is to be highly commended as well as the dancers. Sinan is entertaining as well and I hope he is enjoying his time on the Eclipse.

I would like to acknowledge other personnel who are to be commended: Dan, the activities coordinator -- you made everything fun (especially bocce). You were such a presence on the ship and always with a smile. I do not know his name, but the gentleman from Shore Excursions who got us to the right buses each morning for the tours -- job well done. And to Rene, who works in the Shops on the Boulevard -- your smile and friendship over the two weeks is not to be forgotten. It was truly a pleasure to meet you.

Disembarkation was also flawless and went a little too quickly -- lol!!! On that last day we took a wonderful Celebrity excursion to Stonehenge before heading to the airport. Job well done! Less

Read more Celebrity Eclipse cruise reviews >>