Legend of the Seas Cruise Review by knittinggirl: Legend of the Seas 16 Day Transatlantic and 8 Day Norwegian Fjords

knittinggirl

Legend of the Seas 16 Day Transatlantic and 8 Day Norwegian Fjords

Sail Date: April 2014
Destination: Transatlantic

Legend of the Seas 16 Day Transatlantic and 8 Day Norwegian Fjords

Embarkation - Due to norovirus, on the previous cruise, we had to wait until 2:30 to get into our rooms. Things were slow the first few days, we didn’t get our coffee pot and tea kettles until a few days later since everything had to be sterilized. Even the little make up room indicators that go into the door lock were replaced! Unfortunately, I ended up with Norovirus on Embarkation day of our Norwegian Fjords cruise, and missed muster drill, and the first sea day as well as the first two port days.

Dining - We were SO relieved Legend had the old Chops menu, and we ate there three times! Service in Chops was excellent, and one of the waitresses took several photos of us with our camera the first night. Due to food allergy, our Main Dining Room waiter insisted I pick out my choices for the next day each night. Later he said they were really worried about the desserts, because they might use the More same ice cream scoop without washing it off. Several nights, the chef picked out a dessert I really didn’t care for. About mid-cruise, they asked us to fill out an evaluation form, and I expressed my disappointment with the chef, after that, things improved dramatically.

Loved the Enrichment Presentations on the 16 Day Transatlantic. Three speakers usually lectured on our sea days. Wished they had some enrichment presentations on sea days on the Norwegian Fjords.

Cabin Steward - Yandi made top of our list as best cabin steward ever! They had a lot of extra things to do with the norovirus on the previous cruise, and day 5, 6 or 7, they gave us the option of opting out of fumigating our cabin, but the day after quarantine, they fumigated my cabin even though I’d opted out of it before. He really came through when I came down with norovirus. He gave us suggestions on how to treat norovirus, removed our cheese from the mini-fridge. Told us we could drink the bottled water in the mini-fridge free of charge. Also, quite professional as he cleaned up poop and puke! With Norovirus, our cabin was cleaned last to avoid cross contamination, and once, Yandi didn’t leave our cabin until 10 PM! We set a high bar for extra tipping, but he deserved it and got it!

The cabin: We weren’t sure how we’d like 24 days in a Junior Suite on a Vision Class ship, but we had no problems. They have nooks and crannies everywhere. Luggage fits under the bed. The cabinet above the television is the only cabinet deep enough to store even the 15" packing folders, and it also fit 18" ones. Must be typical with Vision Class ships. Other things to note: Two American and Two European sockets (usually there’s just one European socket) in our Junior Suite. Enough spacing below the balcony railing to apply a GorillaPod. While not an official obscured balcony, they kept the window washer platform outside our balcony the entire trip, and that marred several pictures.

A lot less paper, but at the end of the cruise, we still had enough from art auction flyers to pack our trash can. We usually got our Cruise Compass, one insert, and the shore excursion flyers.

Diamond Lounge on Transatlantic. While Sasha, our concierge host, did a fine job setting up the nightly Diamond event with the drink table in the entrance. The Cappucino machine “broke” around day 3, and no decaf for the rest of our cruise and the next. We heard one excuse after another, regarding the cappucino machine. On day 4, we could get regular, but only if we pushed the decaf button. It was supposed to be fixed on Day 7 in port, but it didn’t happen. We were told they were out of decaf, but we learned on the next leg, when we went Diamond Plus and got access to the Concierge Lounge, their machine worked normally with both Regular and Decaf. Our Concierge, Sasha, “couldn’t” print out our boarding passes, since it was from ChoiceAir. But I managed to print them out at Royal Caribbean online for 85 cents a page. And Luca, the in the concierge offered to print our boarding passes.

Photography - Speaking of the photographers, one of them wanted to try my fancy DSLR camera. I had it set on manual, but he didn’t seem to be able to work it, because the exposure and white balance were all wrong! Of course, he hadn’t read the manual like me, so the controls were strange to him. Suspect the photographers shoot on Auto most of the time, and they don’t frame the dining room shots very well. We often have pillars sticking out of the top of our heads, and they don’t blur the background. Just a few steps to the left or right would have corrected pillar problem. Photos were disorganized in the photo gallery, and I know we missed some. The helpers on Legend were much lazier than the average clerks we’ve met on other Royal Caribbean ships recently. Seemed more interested in chatting with each other than helping us. If you’re worried about saving the waves, then stop printing tons of photos no one ever buys.

No bathroom on the same deck as the Main Dining room, or Chops and Izumis. I think that led to my attack of norovirus! Cruise staff says to wash your hands before you eat, but I couldn’t wash my hands and walk into the dining room w/o touching anything. If you can convert public rooms into panaramic staterooms, surely you can convert some public rooms into washrooms on the same deck as your dining rooms!

The cleaning products somewhere on the ship led to the worse case of contact dermatitis in years. The doctor said he’d have to run tests that would take two to three weeks to get back, and our rash cream from home was better than what he could provide. Fortunately he didn’t charge me. Later in the week, I visited medical again to replace my lost thumb splint, and they didn’t have any. Good job treating norovirus. They must have a lot of practice! Since I reported my norovirus to medical, I got a letter telling me I would get two days credit toward our next cruise. It took six weeks and multiple phone calls with long holds to get the credit applied to our next cruise. They insisted on sending me instead of the travel agent the cruise credit certificate, but they wouldn’t talk to me about cruise credit because we had a travel agent, and I had to bring the original certificate to the travel agent (40 mile drive).

Only two recumbent bikes in the spa area. Hard to find a time when they weren’t in use. Many passengers ignored the 20-minute maximum sign in the spa. But the tiny sign was easy to overlook.

Loyalty Ambassador: We went from Diamond to Diamond Plus, and they had downloaded our point totals a couple months before. But, their figures were incorrect, because we took another cruise about a week after they’d downloaded our crown and anchor points. Fortunately, she was able to update our points.

ChoiceAir did NOT include our airport transfers, and we had to pay extra. The bus dropped everyone off at Terminal 2 and we had to make our way to the next Terminal with all our luggage. Fortunately, they had free luggage carts.

Excursions on Legend very well organized. We received a sticker with a number on it that corresponded to our bus. On the outside of each bus, we had a the sticker number as well as the title of our excursion.

Ponta Del Gada - Cete Sides and Wine Tasting. Great sight seeing. The wine and cheese tasting had several bus loads in one large room, not enough chairs to sit. Made it hard, because we had a wine glass in one hand, the cheese plate in the other. I put my wine glass on the floor to eat my cheese, and later found a dead bug on the stem.

Ireland - City Highlights and Irish Coffee. Not allowed to enter any churches on the tour. Irish coffee was wonderful!

Le Harve - D-Day Beaches and Bayeaux tapestry. Highlight of the trip! Very long tour, had one of the best lunches we’ve ever had including culinary tours! Bayeaux tapestry didn’t allow photos, but as dim as the light was we probably wouldn’t have gotten any shots anyway! Loved seeing original source of William the Conqueror. Lots of time to explore Omaha Beach, US Cemetery & the village of Bayeaux.

Bruges - Walking Tour and Canal Ride - Disappointing - Never again on a Royal Tour! They handed out business cards with emergency phone numbers if we got lost, and good thing too. Because it would have been really easy to get lost and not make it back to the bus! We were happy to get the other guide, because she had a better walking pace, but we never saw her after the canal ride, so we were stuck with the first guide. The guide that met us at the ship had a fast pace, that made it hard to keep up with her. People not on our tour would get in front of us, and our group got stretched out. I saw her holding the signs a block away, and no one was bringing up the rear to make sure they didn’t lose anybody. The Royal representative was ahead of me. She didn’t check to see if people were with her until we’d walked maybe a half a mile back to the bus. The canal ride was cramped without enough leg room. Sent a post cruise contact about this poor experience, and we got a phone call and a refund of 50% to our credit card. He also told us he planned to contact Legend.

Amsterdam - Rijksmuseum wasn’t offered by Royal. We took the tram, with a few mishaps. But managed to find it easy enough! Definitely worth the trip! Purchasing the tickets before leaving home sped things up a lot! Note for do it yourselfers, the street signs are on the buildings!

Alesund Hightlights - Nice tour! Still recovering from Norovirus, I went directly to the museum, instead of taking part in the walking tour. Nice chance to shop at the Sunmore Museum, and found a nice Norway Calendar. I had a little trouble making myself understood about shipping items home. Using the word “post” finally got the point across.

Olden - Scenic Lake Stryn - Lovely driving tour of the countryside. Shopping available.

Bergen - Grieg Concert - Another highlight! Beautiful concert hall overlooking lake at Grieg’s home! Less

Read more Legend of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Legend of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Legend of the Seas 8044

Small cabin for a JS, but lots of tiny places to store your stuff. Only one cabinet (over the television) was deep enough to store our 15 and 18" packing folders. Their portable window washer was stationed outside our balcony the entire two cruises, blocking a section of the upper part of our view.

Troldhaugen Concert

(5)

Canal Boat Tour

(3)

Our hotel, Renaissance was across from Port Everglades, and embarkation was easy. We took the shuttle through the hotel, and it was a nominal charge,. They filled the shuttle with people going to more than one ship. And dropped us off last. With only two ships in port, it wasn't too bad. More ships in port, and it would have been longer like our cruise last December that took us almost an our to go a few miles.

Lots of time to explore Omaha Beach, US Cemetery & the village of Bayeaux.