Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by S C: NCL Jewel great experience

NCL Jewel great experience

Sail Date: June 2014
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

We got back from NCL jewel 7 day cruise to Alaska. June 28 - July 5.  We had 2 rooms. 3 kids and MIL, DW and myself.

Embarkation was simple. There is a mad rush at Pier 66 in Seattle. With 2000 people trying to board a ship, this is what I would expect. I was happy that NCL folks were available to help with luggage and trolleys.

NCL personnel appeared to be generally happy to help. We tried to avoid the boarding picture - but a funny photographer was bent on doing her job and we complied. We did buy the picture at the end.

We had obstructed oceanview cabins. These were unnecessary. Travelling with kids - in the small cabins - windows are useless. Next time - I will book Inside and save the $

Notes:

- Good entertainment

- no reason to get bored for parents as well as children

- with kids - the buffet worked well. The variety was good.

- We tried the restaurants Azure / Tzar. Both have the same menu. Its sit More down and takes a long time. On one dinner night on of the kids fell asleep. Kids are yet to reach the age where they enjoy formal dining.

- None of the specialty restaurants enticed me. I spent all the money on alcohol instead

- Loved the fact that I can sit for a show - and then order scotch

- Found that double shots are more expensive at shows then at the bar.

- 8th floor was awesome. We were next to oShaheen's restaurant. Easy to fill up the water bottle or sneak in to watch the game (FIFA world cup was on). Also could order late night snack and get to the room.

- On port days - the buffet is a madhouse - as everyone wants to grab breakfast and leave. I dont know what a good strategy is here.

- Ports were ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway

- Skagway: White pass railroad is overrated. Its a train ride and you are back in a couple of hours. Kids fell asleep on the train. The scenery is nice but you can see similar by bus or some other excursion.

- Juneau

Lot of bus services to go to the Mendenhall glacier. We did not book via NCL.

- Ketchikan - Took a wildlife bus tour. Was ok. Then took the local bus to the Bigen Totem park. Nice.

- Figured out that unless you are doing your dream excursion - its very easy to get off the boat and look for excursions. Also - you can bargain with the excursion sellers. We saved a few bucks by talking! Not much but maybe 10% - 20%. They need to fill their seats and you have a choice.

- Missed 4th july fireworks - as we were in Victoria, BC

- Cell phone service sucks at all ports. Not consistent.

- We visited friends on arriving back in Seattle. We booked a shuttle after returning back to Seattle while having breakfast.

- This is not a major glacier watching cruise. The sawyer glacier visited left me with unfinished business. The ship did not go near the glacier to enjoy it. If you want to do glacier watching - there will be better choices. The route to the glacier was mind-blowing beautiful. Blocks of ice all around - awesome. Just not close enough. The NCL Pearl visits glacier bay and is supposed to be better for glacier watching.

- NCL jewel is a Nickelodeon cruise. There were a few Nick programs that we totally enjoyed. Recommended if you have kids who are not scared to go up on stage.

Overall: loved it. Less

Read more Norwegian Jewel cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Jewel Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Jewel 8580

You get light from the windows - but it is a waste of money. The windows are cloudy and cant see anything outside. Avoid this. I checked the view from 3 cabins next to each other and all were the same.If you think you can enjoy a glass of wine looking out side the window - dont! Waste of additional money. Upgrade to balcony or downgrade to inside and save the money.