Carnival Elation Cruise Review by MikeMSD: Dated decor, but a great time.

MikeMSD
Member Since 2014

Compare Prices on Carnival Elation Western Caribbean Cruises

Dated decor, but a great time.

Sail Date: July 2014
Embarkation: New Orleans

Just got back from a 5 night cruise on the Carnival Elation down to Cozumel and Progresso. I cruised with a friend of mine and split a stateroom. The cruise was a great time and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The staff were nice and accommodating. The meals were great and I enjoyed all the entrees in the dining room. I would highly recommend this cruise to anyone looking to get out for a good time.

We did the Salsa & Salsa and Margaritas excursion in Cozumel. That was a great time. The tour operator arranged for taxis for us to the hotel bar that hosts the excursion. They did a good job of making sure groups rode together. First order of business upon arriving was to hand us margaritas. We were then topped off with fresh margaritas any time we ran low. Making the salsa was fun and I had a great time.

At our second stop in Progresso, we did the Uxmal Ruins and Hacienda Ochil excursion. Once again our tour operator was great. Gabriel and Armando did a spectacular job More talking about the Mayan culture and showing us around the ruins. The Hacienda Ochil was nice on the way back to stop and get some food. However it is not a full meal. Also be warned that if you order a Coke, you will be charged $3, which I considered very steep.

The ships decor hasn't been updated in a while and it shows. The statues at the Jekyll and Hyde club with the moving heads are downright creepy. The curtain in our stateroom had obviously not been cleaned in a long time and it was really nasty. I looked behind it and went to scrub my hands for several minutes based on how nasty it was. The rest of the room was nice. We had a minor issue with the sink draining slowly, but they got a plumber down quickly to repair it.

The food on the Lido deck did leave me wanting a bit. I got a late night burger there on our last night and it was bland and flavorless. I also tried the Pizza Pirate a few times, which is the only food available after midnight. It was edible at best, and not something I'd seek out if there were other options available. A warning on the Mongolian Wok, those two peppers on the Szechuan sauce are not kidding. I love hot foods, and considered that extremely spicy. Less

Read more Carnival Elation cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Elation Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Elation M136

I traveled with a friend of mine and we split the stateroom, so we were running it in the twin beds configuration. We felt the amount of room we had was ample. We were both able to share the room without getting in each others way too much. Then again, we didn't plan to stay in our stateroom much.The decor is very dated and is in serious need of a refresh. The curtain covering the fake window was absolutely nasty. It had an unidentifiable substance on the back of it that I'd rather not contemplate again. I scrubbed my hands pretty thoroughly after touching it. We had an initial issue with a slow draining sink, but they sent a plumber to fix it quickly. The TV is a very old tube set straight out of the 90s.Overall the room was adequate for what we wanted, and I would book this particular class of stateroom again. We didn't feel that much rocking in the ship, even when we were on choppy water. I wouldn't recommend the room if you are planning on spending any time in there, but if your plan is to enjoy what the ship has to offer, this isn't a bad room for the price.

Salsa & Salsa

(5)

Uxmal

We did the Uxmal ruins and Hacienda Ochill tour. Our tour operator was great. Gabriel and Armando did a spectacular job talking about the Mayan culture and showing us around the ruins. The Hacienda Ochil was nice on the way back to stop and get some food. However it is not a full meal. Also be warned that if you order a Coke, you will be charged $3, which I considered very steep.

Read 5 Uxmal Reviews