MSC Opera Cruise Review by GOLDSURFER: DOWNGRADE NOT AN UPGRADE

DOWNGRADE NOT AN UPGRADE

Sail Date: June 2014
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
Embarkation: Southampton

Booked this cruise for myself partner Maureen and my friend and his wife to give them a taste of cruising, first time for them.We have cruised 17 times between us, Maureen cruised on here May 2013.Our ages are 75 & 70 and Maureen has to use a wheelchair.No problem with boarding at Southampton special needs service is always first class with all cruise lines.Our cabin was on deck 7 and classed as an outside cabin, it was handy being on deck 7 with a wheelchair as I did not have to push Maureen far to the dining room or the bars on 5,6&7.

Plenty of Activities on board if you are looking for something to do. we were not.

Shore excursions are o/k but we would rather do our own thing.

Entertainment is another activity that we do not go to as we would rather listen to the singers in the bars,and have a glass or two.

Now I come to the heading of this review Downgrade not an Upgrade,when I booked we was asked if we would accept an upgrade because we More booked an inside cabin with double bed, my answer was YES so when we got onboard we were shown to our cabin by a Steward, to find it had 2 single beds trip to reception where I was told the cabin was not big enough for a double bed.

So I requested to move to an inside cabin where I was told the Opera was full with no spare cabins.

Not to cause a scene I went back to the cabin and got the steward to convert the 2 single beds to a double, they were able to do this but it meant we had to crawl up the bed from the bottom to get in.

This was o/k for me but not for Maureen so I pushed the bed to one side to get a 6 inch gap for Maureen to squeeze through.

I have since sent a letter of complaint to M.S.C.the reply I have received states booking management team says all cabins I-1 AND O-1 are 13.00 mq in size.

I will be sending a second letter of complaint as soon as I upload my photos, as I took a photo of the cabin and bed.

We will be cruising on the OPERA again this cruise was to the Norwegian Fjords they also do a cruise to St Petersburgh and Oslo I think.

No view from the Cabin only the side of a lifeboat with a light on 24/7.

All the same we had a very relaxing enjoyable cruise and will do it again.

Derek --- Maureen. Less

Read more MSC Opera cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's MSC Opera Review >>

Cabin review: MSC Opera 7106 & 7107

DOWNGRADE FROM AN INSIDE CABIN WITH ROOM FOR DOUBLE BED TO AN OUTSIDE CABIN WITH NO ROOM FOR A DOUBLE BED.