Carnival Magic Cruise Review by cowboybooth: Good value, kids loved waterpark, food is ok.

cowboybooth
Member Since 2013

Family & Children 5.5

Compare Prices on Carnival Magic Western Caribbean Cruises

Good value, kids loved waterpark, food is ok.

Sail Date: July 2014
Embarkation: Galveston

I have two little boys age 8 and 2.5 so my cruising is all researched/reviewed with them in mind.

We liked our cabin location because it was close to the aft elevators which took us to our dining room one floor away or up to the Lido buffet for breakfast. Took Cruise critic advice and sat at two brunches at sea and met some nice fellow cruisers. Food is ok. Dining staff was great with our kids-we sent them to cruise camp two times for diner service but the little one wouldn't eat. Sea dogs were delish but I really missed Guy's burgers and the street tacos on this ship. Pizza was nice.

Embarkation was super slow- we got onboard at 4:02pm- they said something about the arriving ship and customs blah blah...stood in long lines for about 1.5 hours. Once we got on board, room was ready and luggage arrived quickly but off to muster drill! (we did caryy on 2 bottles of wine and a 12pack of sodas)

We went hot tubing and swimming that night which the kids loved. We More didn't do any buffet lunches because we are late eaters for breakfast and early diners but I could see very long lines everywhere. The ice cream was always flowing 24-7. Main pool was super crowded in the day but our kids held us hostage at the water slides which are very nice and a lot of cool refreshing fun. We did go to both 10pm pool parties-loud-line dancing-and quick.

Montego Bay - We chose a day pass at Sunset Beach Montego Bay.all inclusive $69adult, $49 kid. I reviewed on tripadvisor. Great treat to have a free ride on a hoby cat with the entire family. Learned the last cruise to really be careful with their rum (sneaks up on you)

Grand Cayman -we took a cab to Calico Jack's and spent a few hours at the crowded beach. I've had enough of GC-once you swim with the rays and see rum point ....I'd charter a private boat next time.

We did go to Margaritaville on the way back and we loved the wings and the water slide. That's a fun way to spend an hour or so- a little expensive but hey the kids had fun.

Cozumel- We did another day pass at a resort. We were late leaving because of late ferries from Playa etc. Lots o very drunk folks stumbling back on the ship.

Days at sea were lazy and fun. We like watching movies in the cabin because the little one naps. They featured two free movie each day and then you could pay for "movie on demand." There's plenty to do.

We only made it to two shows and never a magic show because you had to stand in line at least 15minutes before the shows. The casino was fun.

The staff was 10 times better than the Triumph. Krystina in the dining room was superb and our waiter Frazier was a hoot. If you want good steaks, you have to pay for them. Lobster was decent. No escargot this time. This trip I ordered coke, water and 4 beers in the room and they were promptly delivered.

Both kids enjoyed camp carnival. I love that they take 2 year olds. They give you phones. We only put them in for an hour or so a day when we saw a fun event on the schedule. They appeared well staffed.

Comp beverages include coffee, and fountain tea, lemonade. There was hot water and tea service. In the AM, they have free apple, orange and guava mango but made from syrup. (buffets had 2 fresh squeezed juices like prune and tomato)

Photos are $22. bucks each now so we left with only one. We got a free drink coupon for being return passengers but you could only use for brunch or lunch in dining rooms.

We live in Houston so the Galveston port is super easy for us but we are RC folks. Having said that I felt like we got a good deal on this cruise for the summer and it was worth it. They did call and offer an upgrade which we took.

We did have a medical emergency evac that we heard was a bad accident with fingers caught in the elevator. Just a warning to watch little fingers here and especially in the rooms with the bath and balcony doors. Last, pool deck is sippery-husband' wiped out carrying two year old-hurt his leg but could've been much worse. He was wearing Crocs. Less

Read more Carnival Magic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Magic Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Magic Balcony Main 2396

I enjoyed the cove balcony mainly because of the shade and the closeness to the water. It was a treat. The sunsets were awesome. I think the location was nice because we could just walk up the stairs to the southern lights dining room or up to deck 10 for the LIdo buffet. There was very little noise in the hall however, there was considerable noise above us. It sounded like furniture being moved and some kind of ball being dropped...clink, rollllll. I couldn't sleep many nights. We have 2 little kids so the pullman bed was down the entire time leaving little space to sit (sofa) but my husband likes being stretched out on the bed anyway. There is ample room under beds and in the closets. The frig wasn't that cold. The AC worked great but the beds to me were a little hard. The pillows and comforters were very nice. There is only one outlet and you have to dry your hair sitting in the living room. The curtains darkened the room for the little one's nap. I would stay in a cove again but I would research what is above it. Nice lock placed high on the balcony door.