Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review by DebbraLee: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Overall Member Rating
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Although my husband and I have traveled the world, this was our first cruise. We decided to experiment by using our home port of Seattle. In summary, the experiment was a success and we will cruise again, perhaps with Celebrity or possibly on their more prestigious line, Seaborne.
* Naturalist Brent Nixon was GREAT! I can't say enough about his ability to teach, entertain and grab the attention of everyone, of every age, in the room. Don't miss this. In fact, take your kids to his first presentation and give them a set of binoculars. They will be so busy scanning the ocean and shoreline for animals that you can sit back and enjoy your adult beverages in peace. Illusionist Jason Bishop was very entertaining for all ages as well.
* The ship is beautiful and well appointed. There are may photo opportunities with beautiful backgrounds in the public areas. Every nook and cranny was spotless at all times. The ambiance was lovely or lively, depending on More your preference.
* The food was quite good in the main dining room and buffet, especially considering the number of meals they serve in each. If you are like us and want four star cuisine, visit the Tuscan Grill or Murano (at an extra charge).
* We chose "Aqua Class" and our room had all advertised amenities and was very comfortable. Our room attendant, Mariano was unbelievably attentive. We asked for ice on the third night and then, magically, every night after that, we had ice! I wanted to bring Mariano home with us.
* The entertainment with the exception of Mr. Nixon and Mr. Bishop, was mediocre at best. The house band and orchestra was difficult to stomach. "Cruise Director Patty" had that necessary combination of perky, engaging, and annoying! However, her best moment was her Carol King impersonation. She can sing!
* The Aqua Spa restaurant, Blu, was a big disappointment. The food was overcooked and boring. After three tries, we moved on to the other venues. Next time, concierge class will be adequate.
* The beverage packages, which we did not purchase, were a complaint by many on board. You cannot possible drink enough to justify the price, because the waiters or wine stewards are difficult to find. The buffet has coffee, tea, water, and fruit drinks available all day and night.
* There was an extra charge for every exercise class and wine tasting. Yes, even yoga and spinning. Just so you know...
* Don't be fooled by the "Adults Only" pool. They have "family" hours twice each day. We all know what kids do in pools and that ruined it for me. However, if you have kids, be happy -- they will have access to the indoor pool!
* Really UGLY - As the ship traveled through Tracy Arm and the beautiful scenery narrated by Mr. Nixon from the bridge, Celebrity employees were hawking hot chocolate for $9.50. Yes, baseball stadium style. It destroyed some of the pleasure. At the same time, the view restaurant was piping in loud pop music. You couldn't get a moment of peace in any of the viewing areas. This could easily be fixed by the cruise line. Less
Read more Celebrity Solstice cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Solstice Review >>
Cabin review: 616
Good Room location, quiet and you get plenty of exercise walking to the elevators!
Port and Shore Excursions
Took the photo safari with whale watching. Whales great! Photo tour, not so much. Skip this part and spend all of your time on the water.
Great experience - Guide, Autumn was delightful and the dogs were everything we expected. Puppies too! Note, we happened to see two Grizzly bears outside the camp!
GREAT TRIP OLD BOAT
End of September to Alaska, mo...
Holland America - False promis...
Alaska in the Neptune
A True Holiday, No Airports, N...
Well maintained, clean ship, f...
Long Winded Review from Happy ...