Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by terrysk

Norwegian Gem
Norwegian Gem
Member Name: terrysk
Cruise Date: July 2012
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Bahamas
See More About: Norwegian Gem Cruise Reviews | Bahamas Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Shore Excursions 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

Ship Facts: Norwegian Gem Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Gem Deck Plans
Fantastic

We boarded in New York, there were 3 of us. We had priority boarding so we never got our Embarkation Photo. We were taken right to Cagneys for lunch. It was a little delayed due to an inspection but the crew especially Marjorie was fantastic. It was worth the wait. During the cruise we had meals in Magenta, Blue Lagoon, Outdoor Café, Grand Pacific, Cagneys , Teppanyaki, and Great Outdoors. All food was excellent and prepared to your liking. The servers in the Grand Pacific (especially Josylyn) were more attentive than those in Magenta. Servers in specialty restaurants were all superb. We had the advantage to eat breakfast at Cagneys each morning, this saved us from searching for a seat in buffet. Buffet food was always excellent, but got cold while we looked for a table. We loved the BBQ lunch each day on the pool deck. I was surprised at dinner there were not servers continuously asking us if we wanted drinks from the bar (and that was fine with us).

Our room steward was awesome, We were in Suite 11024. Our concierge and butler Zahid and Carlos were great too.

Our ports of call were fun, we went to SeaWorld, Nassau (walked and shopped), and Great Stirrip Cay.

All were a lot of fun. My daughter and I had fun going in and out of the shops with Kelli, the shopping coordinator. We got some great buys also.

I was a little hesitant prior to this cruise after reading some of the reviews. It was our first time on Norwegian. I am glad I was able to leave my own opinion. Ship was kept immaculate, loved washy, washy at all of the eateries. The furniture in our room was a bit outdated and worn, and the bed in the second room could use a decent mattress, but I understand they are going into dry dock for some upgrades, I would love to check the Gem out after the upgrades. The bathroom, balcony and master bedroom were nice. You could see the continuous upgrades going on while we we on board, the ship cannot stop for upgrades. They have been replacing all of the carpet on the ship.

The shows were fun and entertaining and yes we were surprised with a song by Dan Dan the cruise director. Fabulous.

The only staff that I found that was not as pleasant was the photo staff, but I am glad I had my own camera.

I definitely will cruise again on Norwegian. Thanks for the memories.

Shout out to Marjorie, Josylyn, Carlos, Zahid, our steward, Kelli, Dan Dan.

Terry