Louis Aura Cruise Review by SarahMWat: Great experience on Louis Olympia for peanut-allergic passenger

SarahMWat
Member Since 2014

Entertainment Not Rated
Value for Money Not Rated

Great experience on Louis Olympia for peanut-allergic passenger

Sail Date: June 2014
Destination: Greece
Embarkation: Athens (Piraeus)

My 15-year-old daughter and I recently returned from a trip to the Greek Islands that included a 3-night cruise aboard the Louis Olympia. We disembarked in Santorini on the fourth day, while most passengers continued back to Piraeus.

We had a great time and found the staff very helpful and friendly. My daughter has a peanut allergy, which makes food a concern when travelling. Because of that, the food is the focus of my review.

I enquired ahead of time with the cruise company to confirm they could accommodate her dietary needs. They recommended eating only in the dining room (not buffets or bars offering snacks) and notifying restaurant staff when we boarded, which we did. One of the head waiters, Marcelino, was in charge of supervising my daughter's meals to ensure they were safe. Each day, he have us the menus for the following day so she could indicate her meal choices ahead of time. They even offered to prepare items not on the restaurant menu, such as pizza, if More that was what she wanted to eat, though we didn't take them up on the offer. The only meals she didn't eat were the breakfasts, which were all buffet. But we brought cereal from home and I picked up whole fruit from the buffet that she could eat with it. Plus, there was enough food each lunch and dinner that a light breakfast was fine.

I enjoyed the food. There were different choices every day, and both lunch and dinner included an appetizer, main course, and dessert. The main course options always included a dish featuring traditional Greek ingredients, something vegetarian, as well as fish and meat choices. What I ate was always fresh and of good quality. The food was also presented in an attractive manner, with garnishes or drizzled with a small amount of sauce.

Our cabin was not luxurious, but we had our own toilet and shower and a comfortable place to sleep. The cabin and common areas of the ship were very clean and cleaning staff were easy to find and approachable if you needed anything extra. My daughter appreciated the folded towel animals that were left in our room and the hall.

There were numerous options for shore excursions and they were well organized and informative. We took part in one excursion each day we were on the ship: Ephesus (in Turkey), the Acropolis of Lindos (Rhodes), and Knossos (Crete). The excursions were not cheap, but I appreciated the sites more with the information the guides provided and also enjoyed not having to arrange my own transportation. I travelled in Crete and Santorini years ago with my husband using local transit to get around. We visited Knossos, but I learned much more about its history on this trip.

We didn't participate in other activities on the ship, though we did try out the pool. The daily "newspaper" that was delivered to our cabin did a good job of outlining the entertainment, excursion, eating, and other options available that day. Our main goal on the trip was to visit the various ports and we weren't looking for on board entertainment. Because of this, I'm only giving star ratings in the section below to services we actually used. Because this cruise was included as part of a longer package (3 nights Santorini, 3 nights Mykonos, 1 night Athens), i can't comment on the price of the cruise itself. Less

Read more Louis Aura cruise reviews >>