MSC Orchestra Cruise Review by Anqders: Too many people and not so well maintained

Anqders
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on MSC Orchestra Baltic & Northern Europe Cruises

Too many people and not so well maintained

Sail Date: July 2014
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
Embarkation: Other

Just back from our one week cruise with Orchestra, and we are a little disappointed I must say. This is my second trip with MSC Cruises, and we have been with Costa Cruises and RC before. My English is not perfect, so I will focus on the "bad" things. Read the over reviews for the good stuff. :-)

The ship have been refitted with extra bunk beds in all inside cabins, and can now accommodate 3200 passengers. Public areas have not been updated to fit so many people, and the buffet area was a nightmare! Same goes for the restaurants to some extend. Tables are very close and two person tables does almost not exist on the ship. Waiters a very busy and look stressed. Again I don't think the Restaurants was build for this many people, or simply badly designed.

Our cabin was on deck 11, and at full speed you could feel the ship shaking. It was so much that I believe there is something wrong as my 2009 trip with Poesia (sister ship) was nothing like that. I have sailed with More cruiseferrys from 1980's that was shaking less. In the aft lounge you could see and hear the ceiling shaking as well.

Food was below average, and we found a insect in a salad we got at the restaurant. (Yes, it was alive). ..We got a new salad. :-p Nothing like the other cruise lines. But I must admit that the buffet was quite good compared to Costa Cruises.

The shows was really bad, and had no story to tell at all! One of the biggest shows was the Ninja Turtles show, but there was no story, and only the same crew doing the same routines as the days before, just different songs. (The Italians loved it). Nothing like Hairspray on Oasis of the seas (unfair to compare maybe?).

By the looks of the ship it looks like it's time for dry dock, and if you think about it you see many broken things. The elevators did not sound not good, and sometimes it "restarted" and forgot to which floors it was going. Lights not working some places. The bare code scanner in the gift shop was barely working and the lady told us "it has been like that for years" and was hold together by tape. 7 years of cruising is visible.

Well, we will not sail with MSC Cruises again I think, Costa Cruises prices are almost the same, and their Concordia ship class clearly beats this ship any day. :-) Less

Read more MSC Orchestra cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's MSC Orchestra Review >>

Cabin review: MSC Orchestra 11212

Noisy at full speed, but otherwise okay.