Disney Dream Cruise Review by oodles: Spa Quality Slipping / Remy Chef Now A Top Chef in World! / SEA LICE!

oodles
Member Since 2009

Cabin Not Rated
Family & Children 6.0

Compare Prices on Disney Dream Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Spa Quality Slipping / Remy Chef Now A Top Chef in World! / SEA LICE!

Sail Date: June 2014
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

We sailed Disney Magic a few years ago and had the best couples spa experience of any cruise line we've tried. When my sister's fam/2 kids decided to take their first cruise, we knew Disney was the way to go. They chose Disney Dream. The kids, even the shy one, was soon hooked on kids club, so parents got lots of relaxing time. The fee dining room, Remy, they said was the nicest dining experience they'd ever had. Husband's a Dr. in Jacksonville, FL. The chef who makes menu just got another Michelin Star at his Paris restaurant, so he's now a Top Chef in World. The 3 hour dining experience was a seamless tasting feast for our eyes and pallets. Time flew by. My husb and I have dined at Victoria and Albert's in Orlando. Remy is Right there with that experience, but WAY cheaper. We returned for brunch the next day, but wished we'd of done the Italian place brunch. Remy has a set tasting menu. It was good, but brunch is just more fun when you have LOTS of stuff to try. One thing I noticed More and LOVED on Dream were the see thru mesh chairs on our balcony! I'm always stacking and moving chairs out of our view on other cruises. We loved our balcony room. Not a single complaint. But this was our First cruise ever we never knew our room attendants name or was called by our name. Maybe the only 4-night thing. He did a great job though, so oh well. Dining was awesome, Every night. So were breakfast and lunch. Delish. The shows were not good compared to Magic. Magic had me teary eyed at the show with the stuffed animals on shelf! THAT show had that "Disney Magic" where adults got in touch with their young self/family memories. Dream shows were either too informational/heavy, or too sarcastic and crazy. One night I was soo bored I nodded off during the crescendo singing act! We all had a good laugh about that. Shops were good/we bought stuff.

Only got off ship on private island. Words of warning, SEA LICE! My sister took her kids to the new jungle gym in the water and noticed everyone scratching. Moments later her kids were scratching, then crying! And just like that, Castaway Cay, the talked up best part of the cruise was a bad memory. The family left island and kids played on waterslide and empty ship the rest of the afternoon. On the way back to ship they saw a small sign that mentioned Sea Lice. None of us had ever heard of this! For whatever reason, guess the tides had the lice in the jungle gym cove but not the family beach cove. We tried the famous konch kooler. It's a regular frozen drink. The island DJ was awesome this visit, so we hung out near him for some time. About the couple's spa... This was our FAVE part of our last cruise, and like I said, our best spa exp on Any cruise, so we were Really looking forward to it. We went while at Castaway Cay. It was one lame moment after another!!! The shower room had no hair ties or shower caps like other spas. The shower pump soap was up high and you had to pump it 100 times to get Any kind of bathed feeling. It didn't lather and I felt like I still had sunscreen all over me. NO joke, I had pumped SOO many times my neck kinda kinked! Then we were led to a room with the questionnaire, & I knew from other reviews to write we had No Issues so they wouldn't try to sell us products. It worked!!! The problem was we knew we had a certain amount of time at the spa, and they never told us when they'd come to get us. So, we were a nervous wreck thinking they'd forgotten us. TOTALLY unrelaxing! FINALLY they led us to the spa room balcony for our foot/leg scrub. I told my attendant I had sensitive skin, so not to scrub my legs. So she washed off the stuff and did NOTHING! Would have loved my feet done! Then they left us to use the Jacuzzi for like 20 minutes. But, they never showed us how to turn it on. We figured it out, BUT THE WATER WAS COLD!!! There was a sign that said due to health regs the temp was set at 101 degrees I believe. That's Barely above body temp. I was shivering after 10 mins and just got out. We did enjoy the choco fruit though. Then we had our massage. My attendant was NOT doing deep tissue as we paid for. I said something 3 times then gave up. After this, more cold Jacuzzi time. After massage you fill out the tab/receipt and my husb even tipped them the extra so they'd get the requisite %20. Why, I don't know. Then they came to escort us out/forgot to do our tea service! That was the LAST straw. My husband said we'd be staying for tea, and they nervously hopped to it. We told our family to cancel their spa treatments before the time deadline. It's like kids were running the joint. And just like that, we're done with Disney. We don't have kids and now that spa personnel is lame/Disney let that luxury fall, forget it. Too many new NCL ships to try, booked two already! Less

Read more Disney Dream cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Disney Dream Review >>

They knew the jungle gym swim area had sea lice but they still let guests go in water and get eaten!!! Also, captain didn't say a storm was expected in the morning announcements, so nobody rushed to island. A couple hours later it was pouring and rest of day was bad weather. SO UNNECESSARY. A nice heads up would have had everyone off ship enjoying island in that limited time.