Thomson Celebration Cruise Review by lazlostormaker: Great time on the Celebration

lazlostormaker
Member Since 2014

Family & Children 3.0

Great time on the Celebration

Sail Date: July 2014
Destination: Greece
Embarkation: Other

Just returned from the Ancient Wonders Cruise on Thomson Celebration. Traveled with my 16 year old daughter.

This ship is the sister ship of Spirit which was the first ship we cruised on about 7 years ago, it has had a refurb to be "Platinum" as Thomson call it.

--Accommodation--

We were located on deck 1 on the inside so I didn't have great expectations, but was very pleasantly about the cabin, it was very clean, had plenty of space and ton's of storage. There was some noise, particularly on a rougher sea night, but both me and my daughter had no problem sleeping. The only problem is that the LCD TV did not have a great viewing angle and was unwatchable from my bed - but I wan't there to watch TV anyway!

Although it has had the refurb, some parts of the ship are a little tired, but again this was no bother.

--Food--

We found the food excellent, using the Buffet for snacks/breakfast and the main waiter restaurant for dinner and More twice for breakfast. Had I not been with my daughter I would have used the waiter service a lot more - brilliant!

Several people paid for a meal in the extra special restaurant (Mistral)and said it was absolutely worth the £20 surcharge per head - so hope to do that next time.

We also chose to always share a table and spoke to many interesting and friendly people.

--Entertainment--

This was what really made the holiday, we only caught 3 shows which were to a very high standard, but it was the entertainment team in general which made our 7 days so enjoyable - having got stitched up to be in a game show on our second night I suddenly found that this took the experience to an extra level.

(having people wave to you when they see you on ship or on an excursion)

My daughter now want's to be a presenter/compare, special Thanks to Jake and Paul from the entertainment team for telling her all the options and what a good life it is for someone young.

We loved the quizzes and were gutted we didn't win a prize (really wanted that Thomson Bag).

--Itinerary--

Ancient Wonders was a good mix, was however disappointed that Santorini had to be changed the day before - did like the added bonus of going to Rhodes though. This itinerary is quite good for those that like the option for just heading off yourself.

--Summary--

A great cruise experience, I've done shock and awe cruising with Royal Caribbean and I will say hand on heart that it's not the age or size of the ship that makes a good cruise - it's the people and service and I would say that the crew on Thomson Celebration are excellent. (going on the Majesty 25th July so hopefully will be just as good!) Less

Read more Thomson Celebration cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Thomson Celebration Review >>

Cabin review: Thomson Celebration 810

Comfortably sized Cabin, could hear the thrum of the engine on occasion, but I found this quite relaxing.Was on the inside so only heard wave's impacting on the outer hull on one day which was a bit rougher.Would happily stay in this cabin again (was towards the bow) would not surprse me if people towards the stern had a louder experience being nearer the engines - but maybe crew are stationed in these.