Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review by jeffhaynes56: Very Nice Cruise- Grandeur Bahamas June 27

jeffhaynes56
Member Since 2014

Compare Prices on Grandeur of the Seas Bahamas Cruises

Very Nice Cruise- Grandeur Bahamas June 27

Sail Date: June 2014
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Baltimore

Boarding at Baltimore was very smooth, we had a Jr. Suite and that included express check in…..which was in itself worth any extra paid. I know we walked right by a few hundred people at least waiting in line.

We drove to Baltimore and stayed at LaQuinta Inn the night before and parked our car there for the week. I think it was $129, not bad for parking also.

This was only our 3rd cruise, the first 2 on Princess. We are in our 50s traveling alone. Comparing the cruise lines I would have to say that we enjoyed RC more. However, we would not hesitate to cruise Princess again.

This cruise was completely booked. Except for a few times, it was not over crowded. There are 2 pools, the main and the Adult, which was much smaller but nice. However the typical pool chair hoarders were annoying as usual. Just a Note to any of you that do not have any common sense….when you leave your chair for good, don’t leave the ships towel on the chair. Remove More it and drop in the dirty towel bin. What are you trying to do…..reserve it for the next day?? I directed a few poor souls looking for a vacant chair to ones that I saw people gather all their personal items but left the towels. I despise rude self-absorbed people, which there was no shortage of, as usual.

Food- We found the food to be overall very good and service excellent. We ate in the main dining room all but 2 evenings. All of the MDR meals were exceptional. We ate at chops one evening and while very good, I am sure we would have enjoyed the MDR just as much, especially since finding out that you can get the chops filet mignon in the MDR for $14.95 extra. Much cheaper that the $30 pp extra for chops. We had one dinner, breakfast and lunches in the Windjammer which had a great selection, obviously some better than others. We frequented the Park Café a few times also, which was very limited, but good. It was very convenient to our cabin which was right below it. Good for late night snacks. We used room service for a few breakfasts, also very good. Although breakfast on your balcony overlooking the ocean can make even a bowl of cereal much more enjoyable, right! Bottom Line, take advantage of the Main Dining Room. We ate at 7pm each night which worked well for us.

Entertainment was very good, some better than others. Some were kind of corny, but still a good time.

Ports- Well, they are what they are. Port Canaveral and Nassau. We missed Co Co cay due to Tropical Storm/Hurricane Arthur. But kudos to our captain for turning around and out running the storm. Turned probably 3 rainy days into only 1. Thanks Capt.

All in all a very nice time. Leaving from Baltimore is a huge perk for us. We are from West Virginia, but my wife has a standing business meeting in Baltimore every 6 weeks or so that we drive to. Makes it nice not to have to fly to a. So we would probably take the same ship, maybe Bermuda next time. Less

Read more Grandeur of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Grandeur of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Grandeur of the Seas 8066

Cabin Jr. Suite 8066- Port side about 8 cabins from the rear. Adequate size, judging from the size of the balconies compared to the regular balcony cabins below us on deck 7, I would say the JS is about 2-3 ft. wider. Loveseat, 2 chairs, flat screen, coffee maker, frig, hair dryer, 2 robes, room safe, plenty of closet and drawer space. Having an actual bathtub and not the usual tube shower was a plus. Nice size balcony, 2 chairs and table, we asked our steward to bring a chaise lounge for my wife, which he did promptly. The first night I found the beds too hard and asked for a foam topper which made all the difference. It was kept spotless the entire week, no complaints. We did have a problem with the a/c the first day and then again the 2nd. Seems that the a/c will not come on unless you have the balcony door closed and latched. Well, ours would not properly latch. It was fixed and no problems the rest of the week. The balcony was really the only place I could tell the older age of the ship, it was fine but you could tell from the several coats of paint and the doors, it was an older ship. Pretty much everything else was upgraded nicely thru out the ship. Our cabin location was very convenient. Not too far from the elevators, although we usually used the stairs to the pools (up 1) or the main dining room (down 3). We did hear some noise from the Park Café above us. Sounded like carts rolling around occasionally. Nothing that we lost sleep over. I would book the same room in a heartbeat.