Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review by SarahCuda: Solistice Alaska Cruise 7/4-7/11

Solistice Alaska Cruise 7/4-7/11

Sail Date: July 2014
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

Let me start off, by saying I really enjoyed my trip. I’ve always wanted to go on a cruise and I’m glad I finally got the chance to do one. Alaska truly is an amazing place to visit. Going through the Tracy Arm Fjord was truly a thing of beauty. Here is a recap of what I saw on the boat:

Boat

Since this was my first cruise, I had no idea what to expect when getting onto the boat. The boat is HUGE! I live in Seattle and apparently it’s the biggest boat that docks in Seattle (according to the local news station) I had previously read that the Seattle Dock is very unorganized in registering people to board the boat, but I had no problems at all. I think the entire thing took less than 20 minutes. The lady at the “front desk” took our pictures, asked what credit card we wanted to what room, and away we went….. Once on board, we went to the buffet to have lunch and then went to our rooms… After we dropped off our carry on bags, More we went off to explore the boat. Like I said, the boat is HUGE. I didn’t feel like I was on a boat at all.

-Casino: The casino is a decent size. Had a lot of $.01 machines and I did see some $5.00 slots as well. Most of the money won, was on the card tables…..

-Specialty Restaurants & MDR: I’ll have separate reviews for the 3 I went to.

-Outdoor Pool: Was small. Much smaller than I expected. They did have 2 outdoor hot tubs as well.

-Indoor Pool: The pool was very small as well. Although the indoor area was very nice and I loved the sauna feel to it. Has nice comfy chairs to lounge in. Plus they had a little café in that area, if you wanted to skip the breakfast crowds at the buffet. They had 2 hot tubs as well.

-Buffet: The buffet is what it is… Mass produced food is never great in my opinion. But the food wasn’t too bad either. They always had a lot to choose from and no one went away hungry. I will have a separate note for the Gluten Free People.

-Gym: The gym was nice. They had a decent amount of equipment to work on. Mostly treadmills and ellipticals. They did have some free weight dumbbells, medicine balls. On the days out to see, the boat is pretty rocky and the gym was location at the worst spot, so working out was kind of a challenge (at least to me it was). I don’t know how people did Yoga when the boat was rocking J Mostly, I just walked/jogged the track. 8 times around the track equals 1 mile.

-Cellar Masters Bar: This was my favorite bar. Was dark and quiet. A nice place to get away from everything. The bartenders were always very helpful. Plus they had a wine dispenser! You needed a special card to use it, which I didn’t have. I think that was a good thing, since some glasses were $40.00/each. The dispenser had several bottles hooked up (which they changed daily). Each bottle came with 3 price options. One price was for a 1.5oz taster. Second option was for ½ a glass and the third option was for a full glass. Some glasses were around $10.00 each, but they did get pretty pricey. One night they had a Jameson Whiskey tasting night. I was the only one to show up to it, so I had one-on-one service for that.

Room (C Class Room #6293)

Restaurants

-Attire: Before I left, I saw a lot of posts about what people should wear (I posted one myself). First time I ate at the MDR, was for the formal night (7/5) so people were more dressed up. I wore a black cocktail dress. My dad wore a suit, jacket & tie. My mom wore a dark navy blue dress with a silky scarf and diamond broach. Some people were still showing up in jeans. No one was turned away, as far as I could tell. I didn’t see anyone in shorts & sandals. Most guys wore khaki’s and polo shirts……. Second time I ate at the MDR, I wore dark fitted jeans and nice silky blouse & heels. My dad wore slacks and a button up shirt. My mom just wore a simple dress. Since this wasn’t a formal night, more people were in jeans & t-shirts…. For the specialty restaurants, I did wear dresses on both occasions, but they didn’t appear to have any dress codes.

-Main Dining Room (MDR): The food was good. The menu was different both times. I don’t remember the meals we ate, but I remember enjoying them J The only complaint I have is about the sommelier (wine guy). He seemed to be put off, that I didn’t know my wines. He just had a general air of smugness about him.

-Silk Harvest: I don’t remember reading this anywhere, but you get 4 courses! I ate so much!. I even skipped the soup portion, to save some room. The food here was so GOOD!! The rock shrimp was amazing. I could’ve had that every night! Sushi wasn’t bad, but I’ve certainly had better. My parents really enjoyed the won ton soup.

-Tuscan Grill: Again, you get 4 courses of food. I had a Caesar salad and they make the dressing table side, which was nice. They didn’t use raw egg, but the salad was very tasty. I had GF spaghetti (see GF notes below). My mom had a snapper, which was to die for!

-Gluten Free notes: I don’t have Celiac disease, so I don’t have to worry about cross contamination, but I do have intolerance to Gluten, so I just do a GF diet, whenever I can. So before I sailed away, I had my TA notify the boat. Sure enough, at the Silk Harvest, the waiter immediately went over everything that was gluten free (which was a lot). At Tuscan, they gave me some GF focaccia bread with sun dried tomatoes on top (very tasty). They even had GF noodles! At the buffet, they had the GF bread and desserts tucked away, so you had to ask for them. If you asked, you kind of got an attitude about it, so I didn’t bother after the first couple of days. They will make you a GF pizza at the pizza station, but it does take 15-20 minutes. I had it once, it was OK. Curbed the pizza craving though.

There is so much to soak in, I’m sure I missed something or forgot to write something down. Feel free to ask me any questions. Less

Read more Celebrity Solstice cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Solstice Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Solstice 6293

Room (C Class Room #6293)The room was a very pleasant surprise. I expected it to be much smaller than what it was. I’ve stayed in hotels, where the rooms seemed more cramped. For 1 person, I had more than enough space. The bathroom was spacious as well. In fact, the bathroom in my room is bigger than my apt bathroom J I wasn’t in my room for more than 5 minutes, before my steward showed up and showed me how to use everything. My room had a note of “obstructed views”, but my view wasn’t obstructed at all. I just couldn’t look down to well, but I could see out with no issues what-so-ever. In fact, I saw a whale swimming right underneath my balcony one morning. My parents, where in room #6289 and their view was more obstructed. They had the crane thing that moves the life boats in front of their balcony, but they didn’t have any complaints. The only odd thing is; they had the hair dryer in the vanity, by the veranda and not in the bathroom. I don’t blow dry my hair, so I’m not sure why this is, but I had to help my mom locate hers.