Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by MATHA531: Breakaway is Great; Food not so.

MATHA531
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Norwegian Breakaway Bermuda Cruises

Breakaway is Great; Food not so.

Sail Date: July 2014
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

Took the 06 July sailing of the Breakaway on its weekly sail from NYC to 3 days in Bermuda and back. I've been on the Epic so I'm used to some of the things on cruises such as this with 4,000 people.

I, contrary to many, am not a big fan of the studios; at least the ones I had twice on European cruises on the Epic. And as I monitored the prices on this cruise in May, I noted that the prices for a guaranteed interior had dropped below that of the studios. In effect I was not charged the unfair single cupplement and paid a fair price. Also cruising out of NYC is great for me. A subway ride to Penn Station and a quick cab ride to the port (I've unfortunately gotten too old to push my suitcase four Avenue blocks to walk from the subway) and I'm there. I left early, arrived around 1015 and check in was a breeze except for the long long walk to the back of the terminal where they were checking in my floor.

The interior cabin, 5409, was more than adequate. Nice comfortable More bed and nice toilet/shower facilities. No complaints there. My room attendant was great (left him a $20 tip) and he kept the room very comfortable to come back to each night.

Shows were great but I'm not sure that I don't prefer a different show each night that you just showed up for rather than having to make reservations for a couple of mega shows. I can go either way on that.

Service throughout the ship was attentive and ship is well maintained. Other than just after the life belt drill, service on the lifts was fantastic considering the crowds and while there were lots of kids on the ship, for the most part they were very well behaved and did not go running through the corridors; at least where I was.

Bermuda was great although I'm not a beach person. I did two of the ship's excursions; easier for me. The caves were awesome although walking down and up 83 stairs for people who are getting on in age can be daunting but I made it.

And now I left the worst for last. Look, I understand this whole set up with Norwegian to try to push people to the specialty restaurants where they can make money. That's part of our American capitalistic way. But the food they serve to steerage oops in the main dining room while edible have very small portions and not enough variety at least compared to cruises I've done on HAL and Carnival. Of course, there is my peeve about serving pepsi products instead of coke products and while I understand many don't care study after study has shown that those who do have a preference, prefer coke by a wide wide margin. Somehow a rum and pepsi doesn't sound right.

The other complaint where I've started a thread is about the lack of lobster tails on "lobster" night but the lies they tell you. It is evidently corporate policy to begin replacing lobster tails served in the mdr's one night during the cruise with an almost inedible pasta with a few, very few, slivers of lobster and call it lobster pasta. Please. Of course the counter argument will be well go to the specialty restaurants. At least Le Bistro and Teppanyaki do have lobster available any night you want to pay the extra charge. That's the name of the game with Norwegian. You want slightly lower cruise prices, this is the price you pay. I ended up eating at the buffet breakfast (omlette, bacon, smoked salmon, English muffin) every day. Lunch was also at the Garden Cafe or a couple of hot dogs from the hot dog stand (which they were grilled rather than boiled) and the like. Dinner also ended up in the Garden Cafe. Three nights during the cruise the carver had prime ribs and boy they really taught these guys and gals how to slice the meat thinly. I did one specialty restaurant (Teppanyaki) and it was very good. I also did the jungle show and the meal was good but as I remember form the epic, you ate dinner first and then watched the show. On the Breakaway, they serve dinner as the show is going on making it harder to concentrate on both. a suggeston. Serve dinner first and then the show would be a superior experience.

Leaving the ship, I walk off the ship but the queues were very long as everybody starts assembling at 0700 before they announce walk off disembarcation is now open. Took about 45 minutes to get off the ship, through immigration, through US customs to the cab stand and the ride to Penn Station and the subway home. Was in the house by 1015.

On the whole, a nice experience except for the food which is really something NCL has to address. Less

Read more Norwegian Breakaway cruise reviews >>