Caribbean Princess Cruise Review by AMcruisin: Caribbean Princess - Eastern Caribbean

AMcruisin
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Caribbean Princess Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Caribbean Princess - Eastern Caribbean

Sail Date: July 2014

My wife and I, along with several family members, just completed a 7 day cruise on the Caribbean Princess. We were there to celebrate my 50th birthday and we have to say that of the 7 cruises that we have been on so far (second on Princess) this has by far been the worst. Let's start with the ship; it needs some renovations. There were several elevators out of service for the duration of the cruise and several bathrooms where one or more toilets were out of service. We had an inside cabin and every night we could hear the crew moving things and opening and closing cabinets in the inner crew walkways running behind our cabin.

Let's move on to the crew. The waitstaff in all the dining areas and pool deck attendants never smiled and seemed to hate their jobs. One day I went to the pizza bar and asked Wladimir for two slices of pepperoni pizza. I could see that there was none currently available but put in my request. Wladimir turned to me and said 'Sir, do you see any pepperoni More pizza?' in a very condescending voice which I thought was extremely rude. The last on the ship, we paid the $25 extra each and went to the Crown Grill expecting an enjoyable time. I'm not sure if they were short handed but we ended up taking over 2 and a half hours to complete our dinner missing the show that we wanted to see. We had a 6:30 pm reservation and didn't leave until just after 9:00 pm. One of our servers, while placing the family style sides on the table knocked my daughter's drink into her lap and didn't even apologize. Again another example of how unfriendly the wait staff was. On our first Princess cruise we noticed that the crew was not as friendly and attentive as some of the other cruise lines that we had been on but we chalked it up the the older crowd that was on the ship (it was in Nov and had very few kids). After this cruise we are now coming to expect this from Princess.

There were only three crew members on the ship that we would commend - Leonila our room attendant who was always smiling and helpful and Jason and Janet our waitstaff on the night that we went to the Crab Shack for dinner.

We liked the islands that we visited, St. Thomas in the USVI, Puerto Rico and Grand Turk. We did an excursion on each island (zip lining in St. Thomas, a private tour in Puerto Rico and a power snorkel in Grand Turk). We also visited Princess Cay but if we do a future cruise on Princess and this is a stop we'll stay on the ship as they have to tender you to the island.

The food on the ship was not as good as on previous cruises but there was no lack of it. The embarkation and disembarkation was extremely smooth as we got on and off the ship very quickly. The entertainment on the ship was adequate but the one show we went to featuring the Princess singers and dancers was a joke.

It will be a while before we consider another cruise on Princess. There are other cruise lines where we have had better experiences, specifically Royal Caribbean. We've also decided that we won't do any more summer cruises. We'll cruise when the kids are in school. Less

Read more Caribbean Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Caribbean Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Caribbean Princess A617

The cabin was adequate. We used to get cabins that had balconies until we realized that we don't spend a lot of time in our cabin so the last several cruises we just get an interior cabin to sleep and shower.