Carnival Magic Cruise Review by DallasCruiser61: Lots of Family Fun

Compare Prices on Carnival Magic Western Caribbean Cruises

Lots of Family Fun

Sail Date: June 2014
Embarkation: Galveston

Our group ranged from ages 5 to 73, and Carnival was perfect for us. There were lots of activities onboard that were appropriate for our multi-generational group. We played washers, sang karaoke, played trivia games, attended family comedy shows, parked ourselves poolside, played miniature golf and just generally had a very good time together. A couple of notes about the activities: the murder mystery game was not well done so don't play it, the hairy chest contest was allowed to get raunchy so beware, the family comedy shows were outstanding except for Sheila K who clearly had trouble doing a family friendly show, the entertainment in the theater was so-so but our tweens enjoyed it. The pools are very small and very crowded so know that they are really for sunbathing not swimming. Our kids loved Waterworks and Sports Square! The little ones enjoyed participating in activities at Camp Carnival. We never left them there more than a couple of hours and always when there was a specific More activity scheduled.

We thoroughly enjoyed having dinner together each evening in the Southern Lights dining room. Our waiters were excellent, and the view terrific by the back windows. We took full advantage of ordering multiples of our courses. The food was good overall at dinner with just a few misses. For lunch, my favorite place was the grill on the deck outside the Ocean Plaza. The sliders there were very good.

I was in cabin 7455, one of the L shaped balcony cabins, and loved it. My daughter and I found it very comfortable for the two of us. Even with twin beds, there was room to easily open the bathroom door. We enjoyed sitting on our deck, especially late at night and when coming into port. Our room steward was very friendly. He spoke to us everyday and made sure our cabin was tidy and stocked with glasses, ice, towels, etc. A couple of additional notes about our cabin are that the door was not magnetic so we couldn't use the magnetic dry erase boards we brought to communicate with each other and the bathroom had lots of shelving so we did not need to use our over-the-door shoe bag that we brought.

We did private excursions in Montego Bay and Grand Cayman which we enjoyed. We hired PPP Tran Tours in Jamaica to take us to a quiet beach in Negril and then to Rick's Cafe to watch the cliff diving. This was a terrific excursion for us. In Grand Cayman, we used Tours Cayman to go to Stingray City, Starfish Point, and the coral reef. Also, a very good tour although snorkeling at the coral reef was too overwhelming for us. In Cozumel, we did Carnival's Amazing Race excursion. Carnival only allows age 8 and up to sign up for this but we contacted the company and were told we could bring our 5 and 7 year olds along. The 5 year old had to be carried on shoulders part of the way but the 7 year old was able to fully participate. This excursion was exhausting with a 4 mile walk, heat, and humidity but it was also lots and lots of fun for everyone....a very good multi-generational activity that we will talk about for years. Getting on and off the ship for excursions was very easy. We had to wait for a tender to get back on the ship at Grand Cayman but that was expected.

Embarkation was easy enough although it was time consuming to drop off people with our luggage, go park at EZ, and then catch a shuttle back. I really wish Carnival would let us leave our coolers and drinks with the porters. I understand their need to check drinks for contraband alcohol (the couple checking in ahead of us had vodka in their water bottles!) but it is really hard to cart all that along as your board. I would rather them check it curbside then allow us to give it to the porters to get it to our rooms. I didn't want to pay for a small rolling cooler so I carried a tote bag cooler but next time I would pay for the rolling cooler.

Disembarkation was smooth but again time consuming. I also want to note that traffic all the way from Galveston to the north side of Houston was really bad, and I am used to city traffic.

Last note, look at and buy pictures daily. The photo department is horrible, unorganized, not helpful, etc. Your only hope is to find your pictures daily and decide right then and there whether to purchase or not. Less

Read more Carnival Magic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Magic Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Magic Balcony Empress 7455

We loved this cabin. Everyone else in our group had regular balcony cabins and were jealous. There is open space to the left of the door as you enter. We put our luggage, clothes hamper, and cooler in this space. There are two hanging clothes closets and one shelved closet. In addition, there are 3-4 drawers right next to the closet in the vanity so there is lots of storage space. There is also cabinet space to the right side of the vanity by the safe. The safe was large enough to hold all of our valuables. We had twin beds set up since I was traveling with my daughter. There was a small nightstand between our beds. We used a hotel key card to keep our lights on. And, there is doorstop tucked under the lip of the closets that we used to prop our balcony door open. Our balcony was super nice. We really enjoyed sitting out on it late at night and when coming into port. We were never bothered by noise and would not have known we were wrapped around an employee stairwell except for looking at the deck plan. The bathroom was very spacious from my perspective of a cruise 20 years ago. There are lots of shelves and counter space so we did not use the over the door shoe bag we had brought for our toiletries. The towels were nice and, best of all, were replaced regularly throughout the day as they were used. Our steward also kept ice in our cooler and made sure we always had clean glasses. The walls of the cabin were magnetic so I could use the magnets I brought but didn't really because our vanity was so long that we had lots of counter space. The cabin doors though are not magnetic which we didn't know beforehand so bring peel-off decals for your outside cabin door. Last note is to make sure you order coffee and a continental breakfast the night before using the hangtag. My sister didn't and it took a long time to get an order in the morning.