Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by Tennis2536: Our interesting/exciting cruise

Member Since 2014

Compare Prices on Norwegian Getaway Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Our interesting/exciting cruise

Sail Date: June 2014

I decided for my birthday that it would be an excellent idea to take my mom to the Virgin Islands. After some research, and great help from ncl customer service, we booked a category b1 stateroom on the georgics norwegian getaway. We are from south Mississippi and booked our flights from gulfport, ms to Charlotte, nc to miami, fl. This being her first time going on a cruise, I knew that I had picked the right ship! The plane ride went smooth and when we arrived in Miami there was a slight problem... Her luggage never arrived! My nerve rocked mother and I went to the U.S airways luggage desk and filed a report with the kind man working there. He reassured us that he would get my mother her luggage before the ship left! Let's just say it was a silent trip to the port. I finally looked over and asked what was the matter and she calmly smiled an said that all of her medications we in her luggage! Oh my Gosh... I knew it was only a matter of hours that the inner demon was surly to come More out.

When we arrived at the terminal is was easy sailing through security and before we knew it we were on Miami's newest ship. My father and I sailed on the disney dream a summer before and I will tell you, NCL BEAT DISNEY ON THIS ONE! I mean you would have thought we were sailing with queen elizabeth herself.

The ship was elegant, yet exciting,just well rounded!

I know you're saying to you're self, why didn't the crazy woman pack her medicine in her carry on, i to this day I'm still trying to figure that out lol! But anyways what really got my attention was our stateroom! We had room 9920, and when I say huge, it was almost the size of our room! It had one of the best views on the ship, it came with the two standard chairs AND to loungers, still plenty of room! But I will say since it's dead center of the ship you may feel like you're on a fish tail sometimes, not to mention the tropicana room is right under you. The only problem the with the room was Latin night downstairs! That party didn't end till 3 am! Yes you can hear the DJ trying to act cool but it just wasn't too god! Oh I forgot the 80s party will be slammed packed! The balcony got excellent views of the fireworks, not to mention you can hear the music and with all the room you might as well have you're own party lol!

The first two days were miserable for my mother, I on the other hand thought... Well I booked everything, I ought to enjoy it! I went up to the top decks and of course the pools are crowded on sea days but what cruise ship pool isn't? So I sat in the sun and drank virgin strawberry daiquiris not thinking about my mom, who was at the time sedating herself with NyQuil! I was amazed at how easy it was to get around the ship.

The rest of those first sea days were filled with countless phone calls to guest services trying to track down her luggage. When we arrived in st Maarten I called that very last time to the front desk and what do you know they were sending her bag up right as I called! Watching her open that suitcase was like watching a kid at Christmas! I knew at that moment her vacation actually started! We booked the afternoon be each bash at Orient beach and it was amazing! I would recommend it to someone who just wants to sit back and watch the crystal wags crash on the sugar sand beach! That day was probably the most exciting birthday of all lol! St Thomas was my favorite! We booked the St. John champagne snorkel and it was spectacular!they take you to this beautiful beach where it's just y'all and it's basically up to you! You can snorkel or they can drive you right up to the beach on their dingy! We met a single cruiser named jo-Ann and instantly became best friends! Of course telling people about our cruise so far was its own little award winning novel!

If you want to spend a little more money, get the unlimited special dining package! It is totally worth it! You would have thought you were back on land at the nicest restaurants available!

Nassau was well... Nassau. It rained so we just shopped a bit got cheap fake ray-bans lol! Then of course, this you have to do, go to senior frogs! It was very thrilling! Plus excellent food!

All in all it turned out to be an awesome vacation! Mom went back to normal haha, u.s. Airways gave us a refund for all the clothes and makeup mom got on board. Oh yeah it's not a good idea to send you're 15 year old son to get you're make up and clothes! Yeah I forgot to mention I'm only 15! Yes I did book everything ( of course with mom on my side nagging on how far we would be away from the elevator! But I gotta love her! She did take me on the best vacation ever! Like I said... It was very interesting! Looking back the only problem was I really made this review long! Wow... Well I hope whoever reads this has a great time on their cruise! I know ncl did a tremendous job helping us! Less

Read more Norwegian Getaway cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Getaway Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Getaway 9920

Great cabin! Huge balcony! Only problem was you're right under the tropicana room and on Latin night is loud! But some of the best views on the cruise ship!:)