Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by 1tigerpaw

Carnival Splendor
Carnival Splendor
Member Name: 1tigerpaw
Cruise Date: June 2014
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
See More About: Carnival Splendor Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals
Public Rooms 5+

Some great times and some not so great times

We bought pre and post cruise transfers from and to the Newark airport. Excellent service was provided. Embarkation was satisfactory but some of the port side staff were not aware of Faster to the Fun. We did eventually board the ship and our room was ready and our bags arrived a few minutes later. This made Faster to the Fun well worth the $49.

The Carnival staff are amazing. They work very hard and are always visible, making the ship feel safe. Carnival's biggest drawback is allowing smoking on balconies. Not only is it dangerous but it can be a health hazard to anyone with asthma or other medical problems. Even with a spa cabin, you will have to deal with the smell of second hand smoke from other balconies. We had a pot smoker and a cigar smoker close to us causing me to have a major asthma attack. I couldn't speak but I dialed 911 and left the phone off the hook so they could hear me gasping for air. The Carnival medical staff were at my door in 3 minutes, equipped and ready to take care of me. Impressive. They were not so helpful when my son got second degree burns in St Thomas. The nurse actually put dressings on my son's running blisters without gloves!

The food was just fine with plenty of options for my vegan daughter. No one in our family had any complaints about the food. The dining room staff were friendly and efficient. From singing Maitre D's to dancing waiters our dinners were always fun. Thanks to Michael and his team as well as Gregrey and his team.

Iman and his team kept our rooms perfectly clean and our grandson loved the towel animals every night. We are so grateful to Iman for all the extra things he did for us to make sure our weeks were perfect.

My grandson would not go to Camp Carnival but he had a great time in the evening at the Lido pool with other children. I do believe that Carnival should have 1 movie a day on the Lido deck for children since they are pushing the Dr. Seuss theme. They show children's movies in Camp Carnival but not all children go to Camp Carnival. The stroller we rented at Camp Carnival for $40 for the week made portside visits so much more relaxing and fun.

Entertainment was very good. The hypnotist was the best!

One thing you should be aware of is that the only fresh water pool on the ship is the adults only pool. All other pools are salt water. Fresh water pools would make a lot more sense. The pool at Margaritaville in Turks and Caicos, one of our ports, is fresh water. Our little grandson loved it!

Disembarkation went smoothly with one problem. No one came with a wheel chair to get my husband so he had to walk off the ship. He was having a good day so it was fine. Could have been another story though had he been having a bad day.

We enjoyed our trip. I thought 16 days might be too long but it wasn't, thanks to perfect weather, Iman, Michael, and the other staff who took that extra step to make each day a happy one. Thanks to the Captain as well. We were sailing on the edge of a hurricaine and somehow he managed to guide us far enough away that we didn't have any bad weather or scary moments. What an amazing Captain!

Publication Date: 07/15/14