Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by cish39: An honest opinion

Compare Prices on Celebrity Summit Bermuda Cruises

An honest opinion

Sail Date: July 2014
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: Bayonne (Cape Liberty)

First, let me say that I am not very hard to please. But I do like to get my money's worth when traveling and I felt that this was achieved on the Celebrity Summit.

Keep in mind, that I traveled to Bermuda on the maiden voyage of the NCL Breakwaway and it was nice but I paid alot more money for that experience.

We traveled as a group of 9 ranging in ages from 9 to 75. We arrived at the port at 11:30 and were onboard within 1/2 hour. It was very quick and easy and organized. I suggest lunching at Bistro on 5 to avoid the crowds in the buffet. There is a $7 charge for each meal but you can select whatever you want from the menu and it is quite good and very quiet and removed from the crowds.

Our oceanview balcony cabin was #9005 and was ready when we boarded. we had two adults and child and it did not feel cramped. I did not find anything wrong or broken in our room. I thought the beds were comfortable and they provided plenty of pillows. It's at the front of More the ship and the wing was very quiet. In the AM, I heard a little bit of noise from Deck 10 but it was not disruptive..Our cabin steward did an outstanding job keeping our cabin clean and neat. He checked on quite frequently to make sure that we had everything we needed.

I liked that the Summit is a smaller ship. It was extremely easy to navigate. Our kids were able to navigate it on their own as well.

We enjoyed the food in the main dining room. I thought that it was comparable to the NCL Breakaway main dining room. We had Celebrity Select Dining and had no trouble getting reservations we wanted or seatings. I suggest that you eat on the early side if you don't have a reservation to avoid the lines that start around 7 PM. We had the last table on the left hand side walking in. It was very quiet and out of the way. Jasper and Sammy were our waitstaff and were OUTSTANDING. Our kids loved them and they made sure that we had a pleasuable dining experience. They called our kids by name and hugged them good-bye on our last evening.

I was not a fan of the buffet but it did help to meet everyone's eating requirements. We loved the pizzaria. We thought it was very good and you could have any kind you wanted. We also liked the stir-fy section.

It would have been nice if the pool area was a little bit larger. The kids were confined to a small pool and 2 of the 4 hottubs. We hung out on Deck 11 in a circular table area right beside the bar. The bartenders were extremely friendy and worked very hard to please all. We loved Keisha!

My only complaint is that there was not enough for the kids to do. I don't blame that on the Summit. I would just not choose the Summit if I was taking the kids again. They did have a fun Factory that I saw small children enjoying. The staff seemed to be amazing with them. One evening they had mermaid who came out of the pool when they arrived to read them a story. Unfortunately, we missed the pool party that was planned for the kids.

The entertainment was good. The production shows were not Broadway but I thought for the money they were very good. The comedian Michelle from Last Comic Standing was a hoot. Our cruise featured the Tenors of Rock from the UK X factor. They were outstanding and were the highlight of the cruise.

We visited the casino quite often and did not profit from our trips. I did see people winning money each night.

I love Bermuda and it's people. This trip we visited Daniel's Head Park (a remote beach where you can rent snorkel, kayak, zayak, and paddle boarding equipment at Surf's UIp). This beach is not owned by the government so it was not as clean as we would have hoped. However, there were no crowds. it is a very short cab ride from the ship.

We did the Devil's Isle Catamaran trip. I thought this was a good deal for the price. $50 for a three hour ride. 2 hours were devoted to swimming and snorkeling. They have kayaks and paddle boards to use as well as snorkeling equipment. Kids are only $35. We booked it through Celebrity and our tickets were waiting in our room when we arrived on board. We were picked up right in front of the ship.

Our final trip was to Horseshoe Bay. We waited until the final day of our trip to avoid some of the crowds that head out on the first day. It's a $14 round trip per person cab ride. I find using a cab very easy in Bermuda. Just talk to the cab representative when you get off the ship and he will summon a cab to pick you up so that you don't have to walk very far. We made arrangements with our cabbie to pick us up but there are a number of cabs waiting at the beach to return you to the dock.

Disembarkation was extremely fast and organized.

Above all, I thought the service on the ship was wonderful. I did not come in contact with one employee who was not friendly and helpful. I have read some of the recent reviews and wonder how we could have had so completely different experiences. Our gratuaties were prepaid but we tipped our cabin steward, waiters, and bartenders extra at the end of the trip for the wonderful service. Less

Read more Celebrity Summit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Summit Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Summit 9005

Our oceanview balcony cabin was #9005 and was ready when we boarded. we had two adults and child and it did not feel cramped. I did not find anything wrong or broken in our room. I thought the beds were comfortable and they provided plenty of pillows. It's at the front of the ship and the wing was very quiet. In the AM, I heard a little bit of noise from Deck 10 but it was not disruptive..Our cabin steward did an outstanding job keeping our cabin clean and neat. He checked on quite frequently to make sure that we had everything we needed.