Carnival Breeze Cruise Review by trixiegal: More like a strong wind than a Breeze!

trixiegal
Member Since 2013

Family & Children 5.5

Compare Prices on Carnival Breeze Western Caribbean Cruises

More like a strong wind than a Breeze!

Sail Date: June 2014

Second time on Carnival and I can't wait to get back on the Breeze. Lots of similarities to the Dream, but I felt it had many more amenities like the Bonsai sushi bar, Guy's Burgers and Red Frog Pub. Also, the deck furniture and Serenity areas were very nice. The waterpark area looked incredible, even though I didn't spend any time there.

We had a Lido deck balcony, so I actually spent a lot of time enjoying the view. The crew indicated we were at full capacity but I never felt the ship was crowded or chaotic. Think that had a lot to do with the various open areas on the Promenade and Ocean Plaza that people can hang out, as well as Serenity. DD and I also used the heated thermal spa rooms and Thasso pool all week, which never had more than 2-4 people in there with me at one time. So relaxing and luxurious to indulge myself while on a cruise ship.

Only entertainment we experienced was the comedy show, and both the family and adult shows were hilarious. Really More talented comic. I would've felt uncomfortable bringing a kid under 12, though, because it was a little racy and some curse words slipped out. My kids are teens and they couldn't stop laughing. Common complaints are that it's crowded in the Limelight Lounge but not if you manage your time and get there 15 minutes early for a good seat. No issues at all when we did that. Bar service was spotty, though. I brought in my own drink the 2nd time.

Food wasn't perfect but pretty good. Italian restaurant pasta lunch was bland without tons of cheese and service was not good. Cocktail selections were amazing and I had the best Limoncello martini in there. We ate at the steakhouse the first night to get the free bottle of wine. So much food, but very well seasoned meat and cheesecake was amazing, as usual. However, service wasn't notable just efficient. I liked the steakhouse on the Dream better because of it's location and ambiance. The one on the Breeze is small. We had Lido dinner buffet on first elegant night but we didn't feel like dressing up. It was a step above a hotel buffet. Not too bad but limited selections. Desserts were abundant. Breakfast buffet was typical and too crowded for me. Nice seating options, especially the bar booths.

Best turned out to be Guy's, Blue Iguana and MDR. Those burgers are soooooo good! They are right up there with Five Guys and In & Out, no joke. The toppings made them even better. Fries were delicious but could get too spicy and over-seasoned on some days. Only had Blue Iguana for breakfast but those burritos were so yummy, especially adding the potatoes in there for crunch. My son got those for us every morning.

MDR was anytime dining but we lucked up with the best staff for dinner. They made us feel like kings and queens the last 4 nights we dined there. Rossana is the best head waitress we've had on any of our 7 cruises. Quick but personable and engaging. Carnival is lucky to have her as such a dedicated employee. She works so hard to make everything absolutely perfect. So glad she was able to wait on us for my son's birthday even though we were very late to dinner. We tipped her accordingly for such great service. Food was always hot and tasted great. Fell in love all over again with the warm chocolate melting cake and vanilla ice cream.

We also got lucky with our steward, Putu. I asked for ice the first day and he had it filled for me every day after with no issues. He kept our stateroom sparkling and in tip-top shape with a smile on his face everyday. The other thing was he did all of that work but never was noticeable, and in our way like I've experienced with other stewards who pressure you to leave so they can clean. A few times he caught us in the room but he said he'd come back later. I appreciated how discreet he was in decorating the room for my son's birthday.

Ports were nice. Glad my kids got to see Key West for the first time. We took the trolley with a coupon from Groupon. Nice way to get on and off at our leisure. Grand Cayman was just a beach day to save $$ because we did the Turtle Farm when we there in November. Went and hung out at Public Beach, which was very crowded due to all the ships in port that day. Calico Jack's was slammed and service was slow. Drinks cost $11! Beautiful port but too overpriced for what you get.

In Cozumel, we did the Carnival private beach excursion to Isla de Pasion on the Twister. BEST RIDE EVER! You will get soaked. It's not cheap but worth the awesome boat ride and having a whole island to ourselves. Food was not that great and drinks were weak until you tip the bartenders. Cheap liquor and no frozen drinks. The water was crystal clear and nice, clean beach. Opportunity to get massages under a cabana. Servers were extremely attentive and didn't beg for tips. Worst part was annoying people when you get off the boat who bully you into taking a picture and bark at you like you're a dog. I dared to complain and the head lady tried to intimidate me until I promptly put her in her place when I said I would be going to the Shore Excursion desk onboard if she didn't change her tone. Miraculously, she became my BFF after that.

All in all, I love, love, love the Breeze and would go back on her in heartbeat. Beautiful and sparkling immaculate ship with a really modern, spacious layout. Very fun and attractive CD who knew how to get a party started during the deck parties. I still feel like I didn't get to experience it all in 6 short days. Looking at an 8-day Southern Carib for next summer. Less

Read more Carnival Breeze cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Breeze Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Breeze 10256

Best cabin due to close proximity to elevators up to Spa and down the hall from the Lido pool area. No issues with noise. Loved having a balcony, although it was a little tight for 3 people. We were port side only in Cozumel.