Maasdam Cruise Review by Eburg: Wonderful cruise

Wonderful cruise

Sail Date: June 2014
Destination: Canada & New England
Embarkation: Montreal

I had 2 weeks vacations with nowhere to go when I saw a last minute sailing offer on the Canada and New England cruise sailing out of Montreal on June 28. As I live in Montreal I thought, why not. No stress to get to the ship and a quick flight home from Boston. I boarded the ship with the expectation that it would just be an ok cruise. Wow was I wrong. I had so much fun. I love the Maasdam and I plan to do this cruise every year from now on. So within one hour of leaving my house I was boarding the ship. This was so cool.

Ship

My last cruise was on Celebrity Reflection so I was little worried about how I would take to an older smaller ship but Maasdam had everything I needed and it was very nicely refurbished. It really brought me back to how I felt cruising 30 years ago! About the only thing I really missed was a Sunset bar. Maasdam’s Sea View bar was a very poor cousin in comparison to the Reflection’s Sunset Bar. I did like the arrangement of all the More lounges inside the ship though. Another thing that I loved was that you could go out on the bow of the ship for sailaway. I don’t think many people were aware they could do this as it was never very crowded.

Itinerary

This was an excellent itinerary. It was very scenic and I tried to get up early most mornings for sail in. I never really thought about it before getting on the ship but navigationally this is such a unique type of cruise. It starts off in the St Lawrence River seaway then through the Gulf of the St Lawrence and you end up in the Atlantic. We even had fog sailing out of Sydney to Halifax which I thought was fun. Then on the last day it looked like we were going to rock and roll because of Hurricane Arthur. The Captain took the necessary precautions by leaving Bar Harbor early and we had a smooth sailing into Boston. I feel sorry for the 52 people who panicked and got off the ship in Bar Harbor because they were afraid.

Excursions

We didn’t do any excursions as I was mostly doing the cruise for the cruise. We just strolled around the towns. Next time I definitely want to do Cabot Trail in Sydney and Peggy’s Cover in Halifax and drive around PEI.

We booked an inside and it was fine. I wasn’t in it much anyway. Some nights I could hear my neighbors but nothing that disturbed my sleep. I did miss having a window so I think next time I will go for the oceanview. Our cabin steward was fine and did his job well.

We had open seating which I’m not that fond of. I tried to change it to a fixed time but no luck. I found the service therefore ok for open but I find this is the case on Celebrity as well. When you don’t have the same waiter you miss out on the personal attention. I found the food in the main dining room excellent. I wasn’t a big fan of the Lido but a lot of people seemed to dine there in the evening too rather than the dining room so maybe it was just me. I like my food hot and it always seemed no matter how fast I brought it to the table that it was cold. The BBQ on the pool deck on Jul 4 was great. They had a Poutine bar one day which I thought was a nice idea but it’s definitely not good poutine. If you spend any time in Montreal make sure you go for some good poutine.

This was a big surprise to me. I was really not expecting the entertainment to be so good. It was excellent, from the Showroom at Sea to the entertainment in all the lounges. Without a doubt the best show in my opinion was Encore. Tenor, Brad Preddy and Soprano Marisa Balistreri were incredible. I really hope I get to see them again one day.

Culinary Art Center

Loved the 5pm Sip and Savour. What a great idea. Each evening they served an appetizer and paired it with an excellent wine which cost you only $4. Would have liked to have done it every night but I did the Mixology series which preceded the wine pairing. I highly recommend doing the mixology for the whole series. You make friends and it was just so much fun!! Jess is such a good Hostess and is so suited to her job. The bar staff at mixology were so entertaining and no matter what bar I found myself in the service was always excellent.

Spa

We booked the Thermal Suites for the week. It was nice and I enjoyed it every afternoon. Definitely not as good as Reflection but I would probably book it again as it was very relaxing and I enjoyed the steam room and sauna. My son booked a Hot Stone massage and said it was good.

So a big thank you to the Captain and his staff for keeping us safe and happy all week. I definitely recommend this cruise and can’t wait to sail on Maasdam again. Less

Read more Maasdam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Maasdam Review >>

Cabin review: Maasdam 676

Cabin was very nice and had lots of cupboard space. Lot of ship noise when coming into the port so if you like to sleep in you'll definitely be woken up.