Celebrity Reflection Cruise Review by sakman: Amazing vacation on a beautiful ship

sakman
Member Since 2014

Compare Prices on Celebrity Reflection Europe - Eastern Mediterranean Cruises

Amazing vacation on a beautiful ship

Sail Date: June 2014
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Rome (Civitavecchia)

The good:  Ship was fairly new

The food in the Ocean view restaurant always had great variety and had the perfect setting for informal dining.

The bars were always stocked. We had the classic drink package. The staff tried to sell the upgrade to premium drinks package the first 2 nights. After that they gave up :) Cafe al baccio, the coffee bar was like a regular starbucks and had all the variety of drinks and more.

The pool area and the solarium and spa area were all great. Mast grill near the pool deck was splendid. We tried the Bistro on 5 and Lawn grill which are both restaurants with cover charge. Both were quite good.

We had a veranda stateroom and it was quite spacious. I have stayed in smaller rooms in hotels in Europe before! The service in the stateroom was also great. Our stateroom attendent was always available smiling and kept the room always clean. At least twice a day the rooms, bed and towels were all cleaned and replaced. More

The Bad:

The embarkation and disembarkation was quite good and efficient. However getting to the ship and back from the train station at Civitavechia was not at all simple. There was not enough taxis there and the commute to the ship does not end with a 15 minute trek lugging your suitcase and all. Because you will need to take 2 shuttle buses to get to the port where the ship is docked! There were none who could speak English and help with boarding on to these buses. I would have liked Celebrity to run buses from the Train station itself. They could run these shuttles for a charge and made it easier to embark and disembark!

We were on select dining at the Opus restaurant. Although we loved the flexibility of getting a table when we wanted it, we found that the quality of service depended on the table we got. A couple of days we got waiters who were stand-offish and refrained from making any friendly conversation.

The coffee bar, cafe al baccio was always busy and I felt the service there was not adequate there. A couple of times I stood there watching everyone who came after me getting service before someone turned towards me. They were quite busy, but it would help to have a queue system to service in a first in first out order.

At Opus one day my wife found a dead fly in the salad. Although the waiter and assistant waiters were very apologetic about it, they said someone from the senior staff would come and talk to them. But none did!

The Oceanview restaurnt would not have ingredient list for the dishes there. Since it was a buffet area I felt they should have sufficient information to provide warnings for folks with dietery restrictions and food allergies there.

The quality of entertainment outside of the main theater was quite pedestrian. The live music in the lounge areas had some very average singers and made us cringe at some of the tunes.

I could not understand the need to have a theater that screened 6 month old movies at odd times. That space could have been better used. Also, the broadcast of all shows were in standard definition. Even the recorded ones were in SD. They could revamp the infrastructure to have HD streaming in the ship.

The Ugly:

Nothing really could be categorized as such. Less

Read more Celebrity Reflection cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Reflection Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Reflection 7316

We were on the seventh level. Had the safety boats under us and that was kind of bothering as it blocked the view of the ocean directly under.