Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by bobmoeconnor: Family Cruise to Alaska

Family Cruise to Alaska

Sail Date: June 2014
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

First the Ship. The Jewel is a nice ship with some recent additions including a Humidor room, Sheehan's Bar and Grill, Mojito bar and an improved Photo gallery. The common areas were in great shape and well maintained. We had a balcony room (which I highly recommend for the Alaska itinerary). It was nice but the room was showing its age. The ship was built in 2005 and will probably get a refurbishment soon. The food at the buffets are ok to good, the main restaurant's good to very good and the specialty restaurants very good to excellent. I recommend Cagney's Steak House! I traveled with my wife and 9 yr old son and loved the freestyle concept. Experienced cruisers had to get used to this but we preferred it.

Now Alaska. It was amazing. The views from our balcony were unbelievable. We didn't see as much wildlife as we hoped but that was ok. The weather was cold (average high in the mid fifties) with sun, clouds and rain everyday. If you blinked the weather changed. Bring rain More gear and a warm jacket for the days at sea; particularly if you go early or late into the season.

We hope to cruise on Norwegian again but out of Boston (my location ) or New York to save on travel. Less

Read more Norwegian Jewel cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Jewel Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Jewel 9618

Good location on the ship. I recommend mid ship balcony