Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by Killnme: 5th cruise, first on RC

Compare Prices on Freedom of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

5th cruise, first on RC

Sail Date: June 2014
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

This was my 5th cruise with my wife and first on RC. The other 4 were on Carnival ships. Overall, the Freedom of the Seas was a very nice ship, but I didn't see anything outstanding that would make me choose RC over Carnival again. Here is my observations of the trip.

Embarkation:

We had my father in law drop us off so we didn't have to pay for parking. Once we unloaded the bags, went through security and got on the ship- it took all of 20 minutes. RC really knows what they are doing in this department. I will say we showed up at about 11:45 to let the mass of people get through all this before we showed up, but again RC has this down cold.

Cabin:

We were on the 10th floor in cabin 1328. 1328 is considered a Junior Suite. It also had a handicapped bathroom for my wife. There were bunk beds in one area for our daughter that we called her Harry Potter closet, but she loved her own space. The cabin always had a king size bed, couch, and a double More balcony. My only problem with the cabin is if I laid in the bed I could feel a constant vibration going on. I could also feel this vibration at dinner and certain other parts of the ship. It got so bad that I ended up going to the medical facility. Ronnie was our cabin steward and he was awesome.

Medical:

Like I said because I kept feeling the consist vibration and my stomach wouldn't settle I went to see the Medical staff. They were nothing but professional. They asked many questions and understood what was happening and gave me a shot for it. After about 15 hours of sleep, I could still feel the vibration, but my stomach had no problems. They even had me come back the next day for a follow up. High marks for these hard workers.

Ports:

Our first stop was Haiti- My wife and daughter didn't get off the ship here and I only went for a little walk. The pier area was very nice, but I didn't venture to far. I did find a rock path to the left and followed it for a few minutes and I actually happened upon a couple from our ship renewing their wedding vows with the ocean in the background. It was very pretty.

Jamaica- was our next stop we took a RC excursion to a beach about 40 minutes away from the pier. We were a little nervous since it was raining (liquid sunshine according to our bus driver). But by the time we got to the beach we had driven through the liquid sunshine. We were at the beach for about 5 hours and we had a free lunch and free beverages the whole time we were there. It was a great day at the beach.

Grand Cayman- was our 3rd stop. We were so tired by this day we slept in late and had the ship to ourselves. At one point it was my wife, daughter, myself, and one other person in the H20 zone for a couple of hours. I would like to go back to Grand Cayman... maybe next cruise.

Cozumel- was our last stop. I had a friend recommend a place called Mr. Sancho's, so we booked that for Cozumel. Mr. Sancho's is not sponsored by RC, so we went through their website and paid a deposit and paid the reminder when we got there. A bunch of us were going there so we shared a taxi van for 60 dollars each way (divided by 12 people and the taxi stayed at Mr. Sancho's the whole time in case we needed to leave). We had a great time we did the all inclusive which gave us access to a special pool area and all you can eat and drink. Hector was our waiter and by the end of the day he adopted me as his 11 child. One draw back was we took the kids to the "waterpark" so they could play on a bunch of different things, but the ocean waves were so rough we had to put life jackets on them. But it was a GREAT GREAT day there.

Ship and Shows- I only went to a couple of shows, one being the magic show (some guy from America's Got Talent) it was good but a little long for me. We also went to a show called the Quest (adult treasure hunt) put on by the ship's crew. It was great but I will say this, they tell you at the begin if you think you are going to get offend to get out. Some older people couldn't make it through the warm up songs and left, but it was great. One major problem I had with the ship was the timing of shows or parades never really made much sense. For example, they had a Dreamworks parade at 5:15 one night when the first dinner sitting happened at 5:30. Most families were at the 5:30 dinner, so they missed the parade. The ship was very easy to get around and most nights found our group sitting outside Vintages people watching which was great fun. My 10 year old liked the kids club on Carnival more then this ship. She said she found most stuff in her age bracket boring and would have rather been in the group below her age.

Food- Like I said earlier we had the 5:30 dinner assignment. We had a great waiter named Dennis from Jamaica (he even gave treats to our kids from his house the day we were in Jamaica). He would do anything and everything for us. All the food was ok but very bland. Not a lot of favor. I would recommend eating breakfast in the dining room because you can get more items made to your liking and it isn't very crowded. Also, try Johnny Rockets we got back late to the ship one day and went there instead of dinner. It is 5.95 per person and it is all you can eat. I thought it had more favor then the regular food.

Disembarkation- Being on the 10th floor I thought we would have been one of the last groups off the ship. Wrong they called our number at 7:15. So by 7:30 we were through Customs and waiting on our bags. We were in the car before 8 and on our way home.

Summary- Like I said earlier I liked the ship but nothing jumped out at me as wow. Would I sail on it again probably, but there better be some great deal to get me back on it. Less

Read more Freedom of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Freedom of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Freedom of the Seas 1328

Cabin:We were on the 10th floor in cabin 1328. 1328 is considered a Junior Suite. It also had a handicapped bathroom for my wife. There were bunk beds in one area for our daughter that we called her Harry Potter closet, but she loved her own space. The cabin always had a king size bed, couch, and a double balcony. My only problem with the cabin is if I laid in the bed I could feel a constant vibration going on. I could also feel this vibration at dinner and certain other parts of the ship. It got so bad that I ended up going to the medical facility. Ronnie was our cabin steward and he was awesome.