Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by Boater Burns: New is not necessarily better!

Boater Burns
Member Since 2013

Compare Prices on Norwegian Getaway Eastern Caribbean Cruises

New is not necessarily better!

Sail Date: June 2014

My husband and I have cruised many times on most all major cruise lines. We had never sailed on a brand new ship and were very excited to meet the Getaway, Norwegian's newest! Unfortunately, the first minute in our mid-ship mini suite was a shock of disappointment. If you spent extra money on a mid-ship to be close to elevator save your money! There are only two elevator stations; forward and aft.

The cabin is smaller than other ships regular balcony staterooms. You have to sit on the bed to get into the closet and no drawers anywhere! The two of us had enough storage but we are light packers. The balcony was a joke. Tiny, tiny tiny! Our room steward must have been a newbie. He was pleasant enough, but was late most time in cleaning cabin, so most of the time we came 'home' to a still untouched room. He did not call us by name until the last few days. And what is with leaving the cleaning carts all day in the hall? Could not open partisan between cabins due to 'safety More reasons' even though they were designed to open.

The drink packages are disappointing. Not limited to bottles of wine brought on board but you WILL pay a corkage fee of $15 per bottle. Everyone in the cabin has to sign up for the same package. (I'm sure to cut back on sharing, but they make soooo much money on alcoholic beverages I would think they would give cruisers the benefit of the doubt.) My husband drinks, I don't, yet had to pay for the same drink package. Specialty coffees and pastries (always free on other cruise lines) at coffee station are not included in package nor ice cream/geleto. Ice cream in buffet is free.

The show, Illumivision, is a great show but costs. Dinner is included, though, and very good. Wine-the musical also costs but includes wine tasting, good meal, and cute show describing the differences in wine! Although free, you have to make reservations for shows in theater. Burn the Floor was good, although gets repetitious. Legally Blonde-the musical is probably entertaining for those who haven't seen the movie. We left after about 20 minutes.

The game shows on board, I can only rate four of them. Bingo and Deal or No Deal cost and it's not cheap! Majority Rules is not only stupid but confusing. Name that Tune would be so much better with another piano player. Present one tries to be funny is not!

Don't count on much duty free shopping on board even though there are almost 4 thousand cruisers on board. Only four of the typical stores, liquor store open into jewelry store open into perfume/makeup store. Trade winds (boutique?). Small and not much variety. The hall is used for the special sales and logos (not a good variety either). Here is where chaos rules. Here is where very rude, pushy, line breaking cruisers' true character come out and it ain't pretty. People were grabbing armloads of merchandise, going over to a floor spot, going through this cheapest of cheapest stuff, take what they want, and leave the rest on the floor for 'someone else' to cleanup. Kudos go to the jewelry staff who try to keep some control and keep cool heads doing it. I would 'go to the mattresses' on some of these bottom feeders.

Main dining is in three separate places but serve the same menu. This setup is much quieter than a large dining area. Food was good, bordering great! Service staff were down right RUDE!! No sommelier! No assistant waiter.

Excursions were OK. Would have enjoyed more time on St Thomas and St Martin/Maartin. (Shopping in Marigot.....had only 45 minutes to find a place to eat lunch and shop!)

Will we sail on Getaway again? NO! Will we sail like a Norwegian again? Yes! (Sailed on the Jewel in January. Great ship, staff, and food) Less

Read more Norwegian Getaway cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Getaway Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Getaway 13202

Room is ridiculously small. I had to sit on the bed to get into the closet. No storage drawers anywhere. My husband and I are experienced cruisers and pack light so we had plenty of storage. Loved the shower wand but wasted space sink that should have been added to balcony. Balcony? Mini-suite? You should be ashamed! We paid extra for a sliding door to a tiny, basically useless step out from a itsy bitsy stateroom.