Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review by allisontucciarone: Wouldn't do it again

Wouldn't do it again

Sail Date: June 2014
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

Let's start with the positives. The boat is new, clean and very well maintained. We had a balcony room and it was very nice and generous in size for a cruise ship, as were all of the facilities. Our waiter was great and even though we had open seating they tried to give us the same waiter every night which was nice, The people cleaning our room were also very nice and attentive. Alaska was beautiful and we loved getting off ship and exploring the city. We only booked one excursion through the ship - it was in Juneau and was a canoe of the glacier lake. I highly recommend this it was beyond amazing we rowed maybe 40' away from the glacier.

The cruise itself was mediocre and upcharges were everywhere. We paid over $400 per person for a top drink plan and then are told that there is an upcharge for the martini tasting event one night even though martinis were included on our plan. Also, the better restaurants on ship also had an upcharge. The entertainment was okay, very More repetitive and not a lot of variety (I expected a pool table, ping pong, shuffle board but alas there were none of these). The food was the biggest disappointment, lunch was inedible (overcooked, dry and cold cafeteria food). Dinner was okay for some dishes but lacked seasoning. It was clear that much of the food was not made on the ship ie. deserts were clearly not made by a pastry chef but rather appeared and tasted like frozen boxed desserts purchased at restaurant depot.

Also was disappointed by the service, which on past cruises has been exceptional. Could not find someone to get you a drink unless you screamed and ran after them. Every night our waiter had to hunt down the sommelier to get me a glass of wine with dinner and forgot getting a refill. Some of the crew was down right rude. There were several occasions were someone was nasty to me. For example, I was out on ship one day and noticed a shore excursion sign. This was the day we had booked our excursion and I was not aware that there was a special meeting place so I nicely asked the person if we had tickets did we need to meet in a particular spot to which I got the reply "It is a little late to be thinking about excursions now, you should have looked when you got on ship but maybe they can do something for you." I then explained again that I had already booked and was just asking where to meet and then he answered my question.

Also, if you are a family be forwarned that children are not allowed in certain areas. The ship has three pools but only one is indoors, given the winds and temperature this would have been a nice treat if kids were allowed in it. It was only for adults except for two one hour periods during the day so if I wanted to swim with my kids I had to freeze. This was particularly annoying since most of the time the indoor pool was empty. Also, my teenager was not allowed in any of the dance clubs after 11pm. She would stay there and do karaoke until 11 but then had to leave and could not dance with us, which was another rule I did not understand.

I would definitely take another trip to Alaska but we will not be doing it on a cruise ship. For the amount of money spent on the cruise plus the additional for drinks, activities and excursions we could have spent 4 extra days in Alaska doing more things, ate better food and still probably spent less money. Live and learn. Less

Read more Celebrity Solstice cruise reviews >>