Costa Fascinosa Cruise Review by itchingtotravel: Believe the bad reviews

Believe the bad reviews

Sail Date: June 2014
Destination: Mediterranean
Embarkation: Venice

My husband I are 59 and 57 years old. We have been on 23 other cruises including a transatlantic on Costa Fortuna. This was by far the worst cruise we have ever been on.

The buffet area was so crowded and understaffed that we had to bus our own tables (when we were finally able to get one). The food was average on the best day and much worse usually. One of us had to sit at the table while the other went for food. One time my husband went for a cheeseburger (yes, it came to that). I waited for him so long that I was turning in my seat to look for him. Bad mistake, I was whacked in the head by a passing waiter's tray because the tables were so close together. When he finally came back after waiting 20 minutes or more, the cheeseburger was raw inside.

We started eating all our meals in the dining room and things did not improve much. The maitre'de was not just unfriendly but rude. I can see the lack of space and insufficient service people made his job difficult but I More have never seen anything like it. Because so many languages were spoken on board, at breakfast and lunch we were often left waiting until an English menu and English speaking server were found. Our waiter at night was friendly but the service was poor. I have never been on a cruise where we had to chase a server down for a salt shaker, butter, parmesan cheese and to correct a problem with a dish (this was one dinner).The dinner menu included five selections of appetizers and main courses. Three of those five were the same every night. Thanks goodness, my husband liked the repeats but I had some problem finding things I liked.

Twice the hours in port were shortened from the advertised times. The carpeting a few cabins down from ours was wet and smelly for two days. The one English channel on TV went out for 4 days. There was an issue with the wine and water package (you won't get free water at dinner so you might want to buy one too). I did complain about the service, the maitre'de, and the bill issue with one very nice customer service rep and one not so nice one.

We have always found so much more good than bad on all our other sailings. I have booked lots of other cruises on ships with bad reviews and been happy. This is one time I should have paid attention to the reviews and I hope you do too. Less

Read more Costa Fascinosa cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Costa Fascinosa Review >>

Cabin review: Costa Fascinosa 1432

Low deck, adequate room, all around average.