Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by JandKMom: Lovely trip to Bermuda on the Summit

JandKMom
Member Since 2014

Compare Prices on Celebrity Summit Bermuda Cruises

Lovely trip to Bermuda on the Summit

Sail Date: June 2014
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: Bayonne (Cape Liberty)

We had a wonderful time and the weather mainly cooperated, despite Hurricane Arthur – one rainy morning in Bermuda and some rough seas (and sunny skies) on the sea day back. The Summit was great with a few minor complaints. We arrived at the ship around 12 noon. Check in was not such a breeze – LONG LINES. Finally, we were onboard and enjoying a welcome mimosa.

Our room was ready, so we went to check it out. Our stateroom (6079) was a Deluxe Verandah category 2B on the sixth floor. The balcony was directly above a lifeboat (and an extra tall one at that), which marred the view. I feel that this should have been sold as an obstructed view verandah. In the end, we absolutely loved having a balcony, but had I known about the lifeboat I would have chosen a higher floor. The stateroom, which slept 4, was so TINY. There was a pullout chair and an upper berth which came down from the ceiling to create a loft bed. In fact, we could not figure out where the upper berth was More at first and we thought perhaps we had been assigned the wrong type of room. I went to Guest Services and they explained that the room attendant would pull it down in the evening. We managed in the small space for sleeping, but closet space was an issue. I completely over-packed and there was nowhere for all our stuff! My mother had a handicapped cabin down the hall which was nice and spacious, with a large bathroom with an accessible shower and a larger verandah.

We had lunch in the Oceanview Café which was very crowded and chaotic. I had read that Bistro on Five was a good option for Embarkation Day and I wish I had done that instead. We went up to the top deck for the Embarkation and it was lots of fun. Our luggage was not delivered to our room until much later and my husband had to wear shorts and a t-shirt to dinner in the MDR. Luckily, they made an exception for the first night! The food in the MDR was excellent, and our waiter was a sweetheart. My one regret was that I had chosen the 6:00 pm seating. It was way too early and I always found we were either rushing to get to dinner in time or not hungry yet after eating so much at lunch and breakfast. We had dinner in the buffet twice, once because we were not hungry at 6:00 and the other time because we were not back in time from our activities in Bermuda. 8:30 would have been too late for my kids and also would have conflicted with evening entertainment. In retrospect, I should have done the Select Dining and eaten around 7:00 or 7:30. We did not eat in any of the specialty restaurants. I really wanted to try Qsine but we could not justify the $45 a person surcharge (20% off for kids, which is hardly a bargain – 50% off might have been worth it). We enjoyed the Oceanview Café very much. The layout is very confusing, especially with the two sides, but after the first day we got used to it and were able to navigate it. I LOVED the small plate/basket concept! It was nice to be able to grab something quickly and not wait on line. I especially liked the international offerings. It was NOT good for things like scrambled eggs (cold and runny), but fresh eggs were available at the omelette station. The one thing I thought was horrible was the sushi. My kids (hardly sushi connoisseurs) had raved about it and I was so looking forward to it, but when I finally tried it, I found it gummy and inedible. I am afraid the sushi chefs have no idea what they are doing. Otherwise, the food was good. We also enjoyed the coffees and pastries in Café Bacio. My son LOVED the chicken and waffles at the Pool Grill! Burgers were OK, but I would have preferred made to order instead of sitting in a basket getting cold – although it was nice not to have to wait on line long. The beverage package was a great deal and we took advantage of it. I had the Classic Package and it suited my needs fine. I never had a problem getting what I wanted.

My kids did not participate in either the teen or kids program, but other kids seemed to be having a great time.

The entertainment on the ship was wonderful, especially Jordan Peterson (big fan!) and the Tenors of Rock, which I believe was a special show for our sailing. The Captain was very personable and really funny! Ken, the Cruise Director, seemed like a lot of fun.

My one major complaint about the ship had to do with the pools and the pool area. First of all, the two main pools are tiny – way too small, especially on a sailing with lots of kids out of school. My kids hardly swam at all because they were way too crowded. There were three or four hot tubs, which was nice, and more in the adults area indoor area. The adults-only therapeutic pools were hot and absolutely wonderful! I wish there was something like that for my kids. I understand that they are trying to cater more to the adult clientele, but I think there need to be some more accommodations for families. I am not sure what the solution is – if it is possible to create another pool or enlarge the existing ones.

The biggest complaint I had was chair hogging by the pool! On sea days, it was absolutely impossible to get a chair near the pool. People would get up at the crack of dawn and lay a towel and a small item such as a book on a chair and claim it for the entire day. Much of the time, these chairs were empty with the occupants nowhere in sight. Despite the presence of posted signs that unattended chairs would be cleared after 30 minutes, I only witnessed the pool attendants doing this once, and only with chairs with towels, never personal belongings. There were always plenty of chairs on the upper forward deck, and I found this to be a peaceful and enjoyable alternative for reading and sunbathing, but if you wanted to sit by the pool and be in the action and watch your kids swim, you were out of luck.

My other complaint had to do with enforcing of the dress code in the MDR. I believe if there is going to be a dress code, it should be enforced. If not, they should do away with it. Bermuda was wonderful. On the trip back, we had to pass through the edge of the hurricane and there were some rough seas, but the sun came out and it was still beautiful. By 4:00 pm, it had all passed and the seas were calm again. We had our bags outside our room well before the 11:00 pm deadline. In repacking I once again realized how much I had over-packed – if I had brought half the stuff I would have chosen self-disembarkation! We went to see the female comedian (forget her name). She was very funny but VERY raunchy. I woke up in the morning, looked out the window and saw the Statue of Liberty and the New York Skyline – lovely! Disembarkation was fairly easy -breezed through customs, picked up our car and we were on our way home! Less

Read more Celebrity Summit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Summit Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Summit 6079

Our stateroom (6079) was a Deluxe Verandah category 2B on the sixth floor. The balcony was directly above a lifeboat (and an extra tall one at that), which marred the view. I feel that this should have been sold as an obstructed view verandah. In the end, we absolutely loved having a balcony, but had I known about the lifeboat I would have chosen a higher floor. The stateroom, which slept 4, was so TINY. There was a pullout chair and an upper berth which came down from the ceiling to create a loft bed. In fact, we could not figure out where the upper berth was at first and we thought perhaps we had been assigned the wrong type of room. I went to Guest Services and they explained that the room attendant would pull it down in the evening. We managed in the small space for sleeping, but closet space was an issue. I completely over-packed and there was nowhere for all our stuff!