Riviera Cruise Review by pjbmontana: Great cruise and great food

pjbmontana
Member Since 2006

Compare Prices on Riviera Mediterranean Cruises

Great cruise and great food

Sail Date: June 2014
Destination: Mediterranean
Embarkation: Rome (Civitavecchia)

This was our first cruise on Oceania and we went on the Riviera primarily because of the itinerary and the hype about the food and dining and we were not disappointed. The food was excellent and the service in the dining rooms was very good. I was disappointed in the quality of the beef. I found it not to be very tender, although it was probably put on in Europe and was not good old USDA prime corn feed beef. Other than that the food was excellent and there were lots of choices. I would say our favorite restaurant was Toscana, but be prepared to spend a lot of time trying to figure out what to order as the menu has lots and lots of choices. Our next favorite restaurant was Red Ginger. The food there was superb.

Although the entertainment has been given lots of bad reviews on cruise critic we actually found it to be very good and enjoyed all of the shows. It seem that Oceania has stepped up the quality of their entertainment recently.

The ship itself is beautiful and More well designed from the passengers perspective. The cabins are very nice and well appointed.

Unlike Azamara, the senior officers were almost non-existent. You simply never saw them around the ship. The rest of the staff was friendly but didn't go out of their way to help passengers. Our cabin attendant was not very good. She rarely provided the things that we asked for and if she did it was always a day or two later. For example I asked for ice in the room so I could have a gin and tonic on the veranda before dinner and the ice never showed up until the evening turn-down which sometimes didn't occur until after 9:30 PM.

The shore excursions were very expensive and thus we arranged private shore excursions in every port on this trip and saved a lot of money. We also thought that the wine was somewhat expensive and we often brought bottles to the dining venues and paid the corkage fee.

This was a great cruise and Oceania is a very good cruise line and if the itinerary and price were right wouldn't hesitate to go again or recommend Oceania Riviera to a friend. However given the lack of wine with meals I am not sure I would go on the "R" class ships as apposed to Azamara. Again price and itinerary would be the deciding factors. Also they advertise "free" air but as we all know free is never really free and I personally like having more control over my air travel the Oceania gives you with out paying their very high air deviation fee. Less

Read more Riviera cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Riviera Review >>

Cabin review: Riviera 7090

This cabin was great and offered a very convenient location to get to most of the dining venues.