Norwegian Jade Cruise Review by SwissMizz: My first cruise

My first cruise

Sail Date: June 2014
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Venice

My husband and I are in our early 40's and were celebrating our 20th anniversary. We did bring our 12 yr old son along.

CABIN: We had the inside stateroom and although it was small, we are well organized and didnt have any issues. The bathroom was nice andnthe shower larger than expected. Our housekeeper Lorre was always around if we needed anything andnthe room was cleaned as soon as we left every time. The room' s safe was broken and we did need to call security to have fixed.

RESTAURANT S: We may or may not be foodies, but we know when a steak and chicken are overcooked. Every time. Even at the finer restaurants that charge an extra $25pp. The portions were tiny but the desserts were great so maybe thats a good thing. The teppanyaki restaurant was great. It is hard to mess up rice and strips of meat on a grill though. The only buffet was super crowded. People are very pushy and dont get out of the way when I am holding a hot cup of coffee. People will bump there More plates into my back and not apologize. One girl even saw she got food stain on my shirt and didnt say a word! We did find outside tables every time which was a bonus. The poolside buffet was strictly hot dogs and hamburger s every day.

POOLSIDE: 2 sea days. I spent both days poolside and didnt have a problem finding one chair the first day. I couldn't get another one next to me for my son. The staff didnt patrol chair saving people. The lady next to me saved 2 chairs for her kids who never sat down. In fact they didnt even have swimsuits on. They were in the teen clubs all day and came to check in every couple hours. The 2nd day, I did find 2 chairs together and the staff were going around putting time stickers on the chairs. Not sure if that made a difference since tjey didnt come back around to check. 2 pools and after coming back from Ephesus, Turkey excursion and 102 degree heat, we put on our suits and came out to swim. Both pools were closed! The kiddie pool was getting painted and the adult pool was closed due to someones kid pooping in it! Hmmm, "adult" pool?

ENTERTAINMENT : The lounges are geared for the more mature traveler with older amd mellow music tastes. I wanted to dance but the dance music started at 10:30 or 11:30 which was too late for me after having walked around all day in extrme heat then had to get up early and do it all over again. I tried the Nlrwegian white hot party, but no one was there and we were too tired to wait for crowds. Piano music, and loungy singers are not my scene. Poolside, there was an acoustic guitar player every day playing the same slow music. I know I am putting my American tastes on here, but this is a vacation and I just wanted some peppy party music to tap my foot to...There was a magic show by Crypton which was pretty entertaining. The first night was amgroup of female singers doing a mod 60's show. My husband was bored. We liked Deal or No Deal game show.j

EXCURSIONS: we decided to only do one excursion with the boat. Disembarkation was not organized at all. Everyone crowded the stairs and there wasnt any organization to it. One man actually blocked the stairs so his family wouldnt be split up. We didnt realize what he was doing at the time so we moved around his daughter and kept moving down the stairs. He started yelling at us and calling us pushy Americans. Other people saw the whole thing and started yelling at this guy for blocking the whole stairway. Luckily we never ran into him again for the rest of the cruise. The cruise did offer transportation from the ports if needed except for Athens because not enough people signed up for just transportation. Overall, I would like to find another ship that has more dance music earlier and better food.

KIDS CLUBS: My son thought the options for his age were not right for his age. The teen center had everything he wanted to do, but since he was only one year too young he had to stay in a different area. He only did a couple of activities the whole week. The teen center has video games and air hockey which is more his idea of fun. Not playing kid games with 9 year olds. So he sat in the room a lot and played on his tablet. Less

Read more Norwegian Jade cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Jade Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Jade 10073

Cabin size was fine. Shower and bathroom was great. Pillows were hard flat pancakes. Room safe was broken and falling off the door. Lorre was a great steward.