Disney Wonder Cruise Review by MonikaK37: Wonderful time on the Wonder!!

MonikaK37
Member Since 2014
1 Post

Family & Children 5.0

Compare Prices on Disney Wonder Alaska Cruises

Wonderful time on the Wonder!!

Sail Date: June 2014
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Vancouver

This was our first 7 night cruise and first time to Alaska. So glad we chose Disney. It was only the two of us my DS 17 years old (Graduation present) and myself 37.

Embarkation - We live in Vancouver so we arrived at the port at 10:30am. There was only one other ship in port; The Norweigen Sun. As we arrived early, the whole process including customs took about 25 minutes. I learned later from one of our tablemates that he arrived after 1pm and it took him over 2 hours so my suggestion is arrive EARLY no matter what time your PTA is. You can always wait at the boarding area. There are pleny of chairs and you don't need to be stressed out waiting in line.

Cabin - I booked an IGT with restrictions as I booked the cruise 25 days out. Disney assigned us stateroom #5135 which is on deck 5 AFT near the movie theatre. The cabin and location was great. Not a lot of foot traffic in this area so it was nice and quiet. Cabin itself was spacious and very comfortable. Everything More worked and it was clean. Our stewardess was Riva and she did her job very well. She was very polite and very accomdating. It was nice coming and going and always seeing her smiling and asking how our day is going.

Ship - The Wonder is in great shape and beautiful. Every day you saw the workers maintaining the ship. The layout is easy to navigate. The ship was fully booked but never felt crowded. Actually looking at my pictures it looked like the ship was empty!! The only time you could see the crowds was on Tracy Arm day when everyone was on deck to check out the views.

Food - We had the 2nd seating and our dining rotation was TAAPTAP. Out of the three dining rooms we loved Tritons the best (classy); Parrots Cay the least (I felt like i was at one of the DL park eating at one of their fast food establishments). Food however was really good. We enjoyed all the dishes we ordered. Food was hot and very tasty. We had great tablemates and our servers Putu and Cindy were the best. Overall great dining experience. Note I did not try Palo as my son would not be able to join me as he is only 17 and I didn't want to go by myself.

Ports - We only booked one excursion via the ship and that was in Juneau, otherwise we just did our own thing and had a great time. In Skagway, we rented a car and drove up to Emerald Lake. I HIGHLY recommend everyone to do this. The scenery is breathtaking and you can stop anywhere and spend as much time as you would like at a stop and not be timed like on a tour bus. In Juneau, we did the whale watching with science. it was alot of fun. We saw whales and we were lucky that some of them were very close to our boat. The excursion also included a walk to the Mendenhall glacier which was also very nice. In ketchikan we didn't have anythign booked. At the the last moment we booked the great Alaskan lumberjack show which was fun. It was Canada vs USA. The lumberjacks were funny and its amazing what they can do with an axe.

Shows - Everynight there are shows. We saw the Golden Mickey's, Toy Story Musical and Dreams. All three were good. There were also magicians and comedians which were also good.

Disembarkation - As we live in Vancouver; we opted fo the Express Walk off. Went for breakfast at 8:15am, kept our luggage in our room. After breakfast we picked up our luggage from our room and walked off the ship. Very easy and the line for Canada customs moved very quick. We were in our car 15 minutes after we got off the ship.

Final thoughts - highly recommend it. It is definately worth the money and Disney does a great job to keep you entertained. Everyone is so friendly and Alaska is just gorgeous!! Less

Read more Disney Wonder cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Disney Wonder Review >>

Cabin review: Disney Wonder 5135

I booked an IGT with restrictions as I booked the cruise 25 days out. Disney assigned us stateroom #5135 which is on AFT deck 5 near the movie theatre. The cabin and location was great. Not a lot of foot traffic in that area so it was nice and quiet. Cabin itself was spacious and very comfortable. Everything worked and it was clean. Our stewardess was Riva and she did her job very well. She was very polite and very accomdating. It was nice coming and going and always seeing her smiling and asking how our day is going.