“Fantastic Cruise”

debk68
Member Since 2012
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating

My DH, 50, myself 46, and my twin daughters 17.

We arrived at the port around 11:30. Just beating the crowds and walked onto the ship. My DH and I booked a concierge balcony and our daughters were in an inside stateroom.

On the day we did Tracy Arm, we all crowded on our balcony, ordered room service for breakfast and watched the fjord go by. This was an amazing way to experience the Fjord as we entered at 6 AM. We did not realize that the narration would not be broadcast to the outside decks the whole time. Thank goodness the ship had to turn around, or we would have missed the glacier!

All 4 ports are beautiful. We walked around to the local sights.

Cruise Director Patti is great. Very visible and talented. Brent Nixon’s shows are not only informative, but he is very entertaining. Even my daughters enjoyed him. Try to go to all of his shows. The Cirque type show was amazing. Mike Price (Juggler) and Jason (magician) were good.

Teen program- better than I had expected. On our cruise there were 250 kids on board, 20 of the senior teens. They had programs and activities that my daughters enjoyed. They made them climb the stairs during every scavenger hunt! They hung out with the same 2-3 kids for the duration of the cruise.

Food, we ate in the MDR or the buffet. The beef dishes in the MDR were excellent. As well as the French onion soup. Most of the appetizers were delicious. We tried fish and chicken different times and it was always dry and overcooked. The buffet was a good variety and the food was hot. They do offer juices during the day, not just ice tea and Lemonade.

From my experience, the quality of most food on cruise ships is similar. It is good enough, provides interesting choices, but there is really no way to deliver 5 star quality when you are serving 15000 meals per day.

The vibe of the solstice. We had a very busy cruise, yet felt relaxed. There wasn’t loud music blaring every time you turned around. It was definitely a more mature crowd. From my observations it was mostly people between 35-60 and their families. I didn’t run into many people between 18-30.

As for formal night. My DH didn’t bring a suit jacket. He was never asked to get one, though he was definitely in the minority in a shirt and tie.

Celebrity Solstice Cruises to Alaska
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review:

9283
This was a concierge class. Not worth any extra expense for the amenities. The room location was directly across from the stewards access door. Constant door slamming and banging starting at 7 am.

Mendenhall Glacier

We booked with the Blue Bus. They only run every 30 minutes. We did not have a problem getting back on the bus to return to ship. It was nice to not have to be rushed at the glacier. There is a small fee for the visitors center, pay it, and watch the movie.

Splurge at Tracy's King Crab Shack. Some of the best king crab I have ever had!

Port

A fun town to walk around in. Visited the Totem museum and some great Alaskan Shops.

Read 1,249 Ketchikan Reviews
Port

Easy walk to center of town. Visit the National Historic Site, watch the movie in the visitors center, take a walking tour. There is a hiking trail passed the airport over the bridge.

Read 836 Skagway Reviews
Port

Nice walking path to town. Went to Craigdorrach Castle. They told us they would be open and they had just closed as we arrived.

Read 775 Victoria Reviews
Published 07/10/14
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Celebrity Solstice Review
Celebrity Solstice Cruises to Alaska
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?