Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review by debk68

Member Name: debk68
Cruise Date: June 2014
Embarkation: Seattle
Destination: Alaska
See More About: Celebrity Solstice Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals
Public Rooms 5+
        16+ 6.0

Fantastic Cruise

My DH, 50, myself 46, and my twin daughters 17.

We arrived at the port around 11:30. Just beating the crowds and walked onto the ship. My DH and I booked a concierge balcony and our daughters were in an inside stateroom.

On the day we did Tracy Arm, we all crowded on our balcony, ordered room service for breakfast and watched the fjord go by. This was an amazing way to experience the Fjord as we entered at 6 AM. We did not realize that the narration would not be broadcast to the outside decks the whole time. Thank goodness the ship had to turn around, or we would have missed the glacier!

All 4 ports are beautiful. We walked around to the local sights.

Cruise Director Patti is great. Very visible and talented. Brent Nixon’s shows are not only informative, but he is very entertaining. Even my daughters enjoyed him. Try to go to all of his shows. The Cirque type show was amazing. Mike Price (Juggler) and Jason (magician) were good.

Teen program- better than I had expected. On our cruise there were 250 kids on board, 20 of the senior teens. They had programs and activities that my daughters enjoyed. They made them climb the stairs during every scavenger hunt! They hung out with the same 2-3 kids for the duration of the cruise.

Food, we ate in the MDR or the buffet. The beef dishes in the MDR were excellent. As well as the French onion soup. Most of the appetizers were delicious. We tried fish and chicken different times and it was always dry and overcooked. The buffet was a good variety and the food was hot. They do offer juices during the day, not just ice tea and Lemonade.

From my experience, the quality of most food on cruise ships is similar. It is good enough, provides interesting choices, but there is really no way to deliver 5 star quality when you are serving 15000 meals per day.

The vibe of the solstice. We had a very busy cruise, yet felt relaxed. There wasn’t loud music blaring every time you turned around. It was definitely a more mature crowd. From my observations it was mostly people between 35-60 and their families. I didn’t run into many people between 18-30.

As for formal night. My DH didn’t bring a suit jacket. He was never asked to get one, though he was definitely in the minority in a shirt and tie.

Publication Date: 07/10/14