Disney Fantasy Cruise Review by naderchaser

Disney Fantasy
Member Name: naderchaser
Cruise Date: June 2014
Embarkation: Port Canaveral
See More About: Disney Fantasy Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Disney Cruise Deals
Dining Not Rated
Service Not Rated

A very good, but short of excellent cruise

Overall had a very nice time but I thought I would share a few thoughts.

We are fairly young (38, 29) with a 5 month old boy, thus chose Disney for the first time due to other lines' age restrictions (we typically chose princess and celebrity). Additionally we got the FL rate discount which brings in the pricing more in-line with the other companies.

The Good:

Production Shows-- we typically skip these on other lines but they are of a different caliber on Disney and really are must sees if you enjoy a good, albeit corny, musical production.

Remi-- We did both the champagne brunch and dinner, two of the best meals on land or sea. The Wagyu beef was, without qualification, the best piece of meat I've ever eaten.

Cabana's Buffet-- Above average in quality if somewhat limited in selection.

Characters-- What is there to say, Disney sets the standard here.

Castaway Cay-- As many others have said, by far the best of the "private islands," amazing waters, staff, activities, absence of tenders, etc. Food is standard but acceptable.

Included drinks, soft-serve-- I realize these are paid upfront in the higher cruise fare, but slightly less nickel-and-diming is always appreciated.

The not so good:

Main Dining Room--Obviously a disappointment when so much of the cruise is based on the MDR. With rare exception, the soups were cold and nearly everything was underseasoned to the point of tastelessness. The lobster tails were beautiful but tasted like cardboard. I realize I'm a bit of a food snob, but I really felt the protein wasn't respected--the lobsters must have been thrown into a pot of boiling water and put on a plate with the hope melted butter on the side would fix it. Unfortunately our servers weren't much better. Our main waiter obviously knew he was supposed to be friendly, but was clearly so busy and "in the weeds" that he had no time to establish a rapport, making his occasional attempts at jocularity fall flat and seem insincere. Our assistant sever seemed to know these efforts to be futile and remained surly throughout. These flaws were compounded by seemingly incessant reminders to score them as "Excellent" on our rating card, a practice I wish cruise lines would ban.

Mixed:

Staff--With the notable exception of the MDR staff, the crew at port and aboard Fantasy were Disney professional and a pleasure to be around.

Conclusion:

We had a very pleasant vacation aboard Disney Fantasy. I have read from other reviews that the increased fare is warranted by the premium quality Disney provides. I disagree with this premise and would likely not book without the FL resident discount. This isn't to say we didn't have a great time--We did! Disney, like Princess and Celebrity, each have different strengths and weakness. No cruise is perfect, they key is to select the line whose strengths match your particular priorities. Unfortunately for us foodies, the MDR was sub-par which tainted our overall experience despite the numerous other positive Disney attributes.

Publication Date: 07/10/14