Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by mikewf007@yahoo.com

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by mikewf007@yahoo.com
Norwegian Jewel
Norwegian Jewel
Member Name: mikewf007@yahoo.com
Cruise Date: June 2014
Embarkation: Seattle
Destination: Alaska
See More About: Norwegian Jewel Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
        13-15 4.0

Mixed bag

Just back from our cruise jun 27-jul 5 to Alaska from Seattle and the survey said "mixed results". The good; Our balcony cabin on the 8th deck was always well kept by staff. Staff I felt for the most part was very attentive. My wife is a glutton free and corn intolerant (this really sucks btw). Had it not been for the chef who managed the O'Sheenans, my wife would have had been forced to eat the same thing over and over again. This chef after listening to my wife explain her frustration said to her "Madam, you come to my restaurant and I will take care of you". Indeed he did. As a matter of fact she ate far better than the rest of our entourage of eight people. He made her custom made meals thereafter and they were simply great. The float plane tour of the five glaciers was worth every cent of the $210.00 bucks. Alaska is stunning! Our ship Captain expertly maneuvered this massive vessel up the straight to see the glacier and got us as close as possible to the glacier, and then turned the ship 360 degrees in the channel and got us out. I thought that was pretty cool driving.

The not so good; The shows were less than okay. One night they had this singing Russian guy come out in a tux and he belted out every ones favorite russian tune, only problem is we don't speak Russian. Worse, it was like watching your grandpas favorite re-run of "The Lawrence Welk Show". And then it got really bad. His pixy wife comes out and grabs a hold of these drape like ropes dropped from the stage ceiling. Up she goes spinning around like a little angel. Parents better cover juniors eyes cause he is going to get a healthy dose of crotch shots. I guess otherwise enjoy the view. Seriously it was comical watching. Had the dude pierced his nipples, put a chain in between and then spun his wife around the stage, then that would have been something to watch. The staff amateur show was just that amateur. But hey if you like Mrs. Guntskys 4th grade class pageant growing up, this show is for you!

The really bad: Food sucked! Remember what I said about my wife. She told the ship months ago about her dietary restrictions. "No problem we got you covered" is what were told. The real gig is there is a set menu and if you want to deviate from the menu, say Iike how about grilling those veggies instead of steaming. Can you add curry to the rice. Blank stay like you get at the DMV office. Waiters honestly don't know what to do when you go outside the box. Thank fully we stumbled across the one chef who go outside the box. I can eat anything and the best description I can describe the food is high school cafeteria for breakfast. Lunch and dinner is a hybrid of Dennys. If you upgrade and pay for the food if was far better in the boutique restaurants. But it begs to ask NCL, why? My kid said the bacon was like cardboard cut-outs, spay painted and warmed up.

Gotchas: Couple massage was great. Better read the fine print though. It read 149 bucks for a couple massage. Great deal told my wife let's go. This two girls had hands of magic. We missed the part it was 149 each plus 18% gratuity. I missed that and tipped both girls a 20 spot to boot. All port had the usual trinkets galore. Suggest renting a car and hightailing it our of town and see the really Alaska. Excursions were great so check those out. Oh-took my 13 year old zip lining. If your not a afraid of height or speed this tour is for you. Day two in open ocean was somewhat rough. I was fine, but 3 out of our 8 tossed their cookies. I called day 2 barf day. Great way to meet your shipmates at the stern barfing over the railing;-)

Publication Date: 07/10/14