MSC Musica Cruise Review by Kuciaam

Member Name: Kuciaam
Cruise Date: June 2014
Embarkation: Genoa
Destination: Mediterranean
See More About: MSC Musica Cruise Reviews | Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | MSC Cruises Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: MSC Musica Review (by Cruise Critic!) | MSC Musica Deck Plans
Second cruise with MSC but never again

We chose MSC Musica as it fitted with our vacation dates and those of friends that we were travelling with and the ports looked nice. Embarkation in Genoa was ok except whilst waiting to get on the ship we were talked into buying a beverage package - my husband and I drink very little but were talked into it with one of the perks being that it was an all inclusive package with nothing more to pay. We specifically asked about tax and told that it was not added, but guess what was included on our final account for the drinks package??? The accounts staff just laughed in our faces when we questioned the account.

The cabin was lovely and clean as were the public areas of the ship. I have to say that the cabin steward was the least visible of any on the many cruises I have been on - no little touches like the towel animals or chocolates on the pillow - didn't matter to me particularly but just noted it was very fifferent to all other cruise lines we have travelled with.

I have noted other reviews commenting on the effort to get food at the Lido buffet likening it to a feeding frenzy at the zoo. Never seen anything like it, and the pushiness and rudeness of a certain nationality that was prevalent on the ship was unbelievable. Several days. I did not eat breakfast or lunch on the ship. We ate in the dining room when able, but not much choice and often I had no more than a soup and salad.

Entertainment was boring after seeing a night of it - same performances different costumes.

Don't bother with excursions - our experience was that we paid 52 euros to be held hostage at a carpet shop, a perfume shop, and a vastly inflated priced souvenir shop which was meant to be a tour of the medina in Tunis. We complained to several people on the tour desk who simply ignored us and said it was not MSCs problem etc etc - finally the manager gave us a photo album in compensation which we returned promptly. I have emailed head office but looking through other postings on hus website, doubt we will get a response. So, prospective MSC oassengers, be warned about excursions. Also note that you only have short times in port so it makes doing your own thing difficult.

Finally, e nail in the coffin for me, and I found it on this cruise and one we took wih this line in 2007, was the absolute arrogance and rudeness of the Italian staff on this cruise - we have cruised with Holland America, Celebrity, RCI, Thompson, MyTravel and loved every cruise and the staff whether it has been a big or small ship but MSC Italian staff were diabolical. I really felt so sorry for the Indonesian dining staff as they all looked exhausted, but they all managed to maintain a friendly smile and good service, as did the cabin staff. I have never seen such an unhappy looking crew though.

Publication Date: 07/09/14