Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by hogie23: Loved the Getaway!!

hogie23
Member Since 2014

Family & Children 2.0

Compare Prices on Norwegian Getaway Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Loved the Getaway!!

Sail Date: June 2014

This is a review of the June 7th sailing of the Getaway. We are a family of 3, myself and husband (early 40’s) and son 12. I noticed from reading these reviews that there are all types of preferences when it comes to cruising. I would describe us a casual and laid back and not high maintenance. Our experience cruising was last year on the Pearl to Alaska. We have only cruised NCL and enjoy the Freestyle experience.

We arranged for SAS to pick us up at our hotel and take us to cruise port. They arrived on time at 11:00 a.m. and we were at port of Miami within 30-40 minutes.

There was a short line at security. We probably waited about 5 minutes. We had 2 bottles of wine and they showed us to the table where they gave us a receipt for the corkage fee ($15.00 each) and put stickers on each bottle. No problems at check in and was giving boarding group 5. They took the embarkation picture on the way to the lounge. Waited about 5 minutes and our group was called to More board.

Our room 8124, M6 Mini-Suite – Large Balcony, we loved our room and the location. I was concerned that since we were near the front we might feel the boat more. No concerns. We had a table, 2 chairs and 1 lounger on the balcony and still had room to move around. The only complaint is we did get trash, etc. from others above and if you are out by the railing people above can see you. There were also white bits that appeared over the course of the cruise. The people next to us were smoking cigars so I don’t know if that was it or not. As people have said before, plenty of storage available in the cabin. Bed was very comfortable no issues. Loved the size of the bathroom, did not feel cramped. Shower was large with multiple options for water spray.

Kids Program

We tried the kids program for our 12 year old. He went in the evenings on day 1 and day 2 but at on day 2 they had all the kids in 1 room with Sponge Bob and singing the songs. That was enough for him and he didn’t go back.

Activities

We are not pool people so that is one of the reasons I booked the large balcony. The pools on the ship are small and since they separated the kids pool and adult pool we did not spend much time there. There are so many other things to do. We were very close to the all the action at 678. We liked the convenience to O’Sheehans especially when husband and son found out they had ice cream sundaes. They would watch movies on the big screen eating ice cream. My son is 12 and loves his video games so he liked to frequent the arcade on deck 15 and they also had games in O’Sheehans.

We did the ropes course in port and at sea. Great fun especially at sea. Don’t forget to walk the plank and get your picture. You also get you picture on the zip line at the end of the ropes course. Remember you need to wear bottoms (not just a swim suit cover-up) and closed toe shoes. There was line both times but it did go fairly quickly. The slides were fun and very fast. You have to weigh 100 lbs to do the drop slide and they do have a scale.

The only party we attended was the glow party. We stayed for the about 20 minutes. We really enjoyed it while we were there but it is not really our thing.

Shows

I saw Burn the Floor by myself. Great show I really enjoyed it, especially if you love dancing. Illusionarium was great. Show was at 5:30, arrived at 4:45 to get in line. They started seating people around 5:00. The whole family loved it. Food was good. The fried shrimp, I thought was perfect. We got great seats. Facing the stage directly.

Casino

If you sit next to somebody who is smoking yes it is bad but I did not notice any smoke smells/odors outside of the casino area.

Food

Overall was great.

Breakfast we did Savor or the buffet. I love smoked salmon so I always get my fill on the cruise ships. I also really like the hash browns with whatever spice they included.

Lunch was either the Noodle Bar or O’Sheehans. We ate at the noodle bar twice. Most items were $3.50 or $4.00. If you like the Thai soups or fried rice you will really like the Noodle Bar. We only did one (1) specialty and that was Teppanyaki. The fried rice wasn’t good, too goopy. The meat however was great. Cooked perfectly. If you have done the show at your local Teppanyaki it is the same. Glad we tried it but would not do it again on the ship. We ate at Tropicana 3 times and did not have an issue being seated immediately. We arrived at about between 5:45 and 6:30 each night. We did have reservations for Cagney’s on Friday but decided that we enjoyed the food and atmosphere of The Tropicana Room and it conflicted with other activities we wanted to do that afternoon/evening so we cancelled. What I liked about The Tropicana that I did not expect was that the menu changed each night. Items we really enjoyed included the Bouillabaisse soup, black bean soup, lasagna rolls, prime rib and bread pudding. Service was great and it took us about an hour to eat each time. Men must wear long pants in the Tropicana Room.

Spa

I made a spa appointment massage for 2:30 while we were in port in Nassau. I enjoyed my massage very much and saved about $20 due to scheduling the appointment while in port.

Photos

Take advantage of the ships photographers. You only have to purchase those you really like. Give yourself options. Definitely go check your photo folder. There are plenty of times/places for pictures. We ended up purchasing 3 out of about 20 photos. It is very crowded the last evening in the photo area. I left and came back later that evening at about 10:30 and it wasn’t too bad.

Disembarkation

Got off the ship at 8:00 a.m. No lines.

We loved the Getaway and would probably sail again with a different itinerary. Less

Read more Norwegian Getaway cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Getaway Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Getaway 8124

Nassau, Bahamas we got off the ship and walked around for less than an hour then back on the ship. Nothing interested us at this location.

Read 2607 Nassau Reviews

In St. Maarten we did the Capt. Bob snorkeling tour that we booked ourselves. We had 5 stops. Stop 1 snorkel for sea turtles, stop 2 a quick stop at some shops and beach, stop 3 lunch (food was delicious choice of fish, ribs or chicken)and beach, stop 4 fish snorkel, stop 5 watch planes.

St. Thomas we had a lot of sun from the day before so not interested in visiting beaches. We took the open air taxi for $4 each to downtown. We found the 99 steps and walked up to Blackbeard’s. Did the Blackbeard tour ($10 each). We climbed the tour and got to tour a couple of plantation homes and walked back down the steps. We stopped to eat at Cuzzin’s for lunch (great food I would recommend). We tried buttered conch (our 1st time for Conch), stuffed lobster, chicken curry, and cheeseburger. We did some shopping before we headed back to the ship via open air taxi for another $4 each. Back on the ship by 1:30.

Read 2318 St. Thomas Reviews