Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by Robin Gail: Summit did not disappoint

Compare Prices on Celebrity Summit Bermuda Cruises

Summit did not disappoint

Sail Date: June 2014
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: Bayonne (Cape Liberty)

My husband and I are in our early 60"s and travelled with our 8 year old grandaughter. We arrived at the port at 10:30 and were onboard by 11:00. It was very quick and easy and organized. We made our way to Bistro on 5 to avoid the crowds in the buffet. We had a great server named Tahley who suggested that we dine in Quisine that night at a discount. We enjoyed our dinner in Quisine which is alot of fun. Tahley was also our server in Quisine and made it very enjoyable.

Our oceanview cabin #2086 was ready at 1:00pm. The cabin was very functional with plenty of space for 3 people. The only part of the cabin that really shows it's age is the bathroom. We had a few cracked tiles in the shower and some grout issues. Our cabin steward Apollo did a good job keeping our cabin clean and neat. Its a great mid-ships cabin with no noise.

For those folks who prefer a little bit of a smaller ship the Summit is for you. Not alot of bells and whistles but perfect for a port More intensive itinerary. The ship looks good for her age and very easy to navigate.

The food was very good in the main dining room. We had Celebrity Select Dining and had no trouble getting the reservation we wanted as long as we made it when we were leaving the dining room the night before. The first night that we ate in the dining room we were given a table close to the back window with Hugo as our waiter. He was so good that we requested him every night thereafter.

The buffet food for lunch was o.k. I wasn't sure how I felt about the baskets at first but after the 2nd day they kind of grew on me. They cut down on germs but I think they also cut down on waiting in lines as you can just grab a basket or two and be on your way. Celebrity does need to put more staff on to clean tables in a more timely fashion.

The one disappointment that we had was not being able to eat in Normandie. We had our 8 year old grandaughter with us and the age limit is 13. I fully understand the issues of allowing children in the more formal restaurants. I would not be happy spending $45.00 per person and having an annoying child near me. Our grandaughter happens to be very mature for her age and loves to dress up and eat in fine restaurants. We understood from the beginning that she would not be allowed to eat there which is why I was so annoyed when I found out otherwise. We were waiting for my husband outside of the buffet area where they have tables set up advertising Quisine and Normandie and trying to get people to make reservations. I was chit chatting with the person who was in charge of the tables and I was telling him how much we enjoyed Quisine. He asked me if I would like to make a reservation at Normandie and I told him that we would have loved to but our grandaughter was 8 and the age limit is 13. He told me that they have changed their policy regarding kids and that my grandaughter would be welcome to dine there. I was shocked to hear him say that. I never would have even thought to have asked the question. This happened at the end of the cruise and there were not any times left that suited us. I don't understand how they can change a policy and not let anyone know.

The entertainment was good. The production shows were a little cheesy but had great sets and good costumes.

Bermuda remains to be one of my favorite places. This is my 6th time and it is still beautiful. Very easy to get around by bus and ferry which are located right near the ship. We did take the nighttime glass bottom boat excursion which we did many years ago and enjoyed so much that we wanted to take our grandaughter again. They have 2 choices 8 pm or 10 pm. The first time we did it we took the 10pm which was better. This time we did the 8pm which was wonderful for seeing the sunset but didn't see as much marine life. The interesting marine life come out later.

Disembarkation was fast. We were off the ship and in our car by 9:00. A great cruise which I would do again in a heartbeat. Less

Read more Celebrity Summit cruise reviews >>