Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by NanaLovesToCruise: Enjoyable cruise on a nice ship

NanaLovesToCruise
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Carnival Triumph Western Caribbean Cruises

Enjoyable cruise on a nice ship

Sail Date: June 2014
Embarkation: Galveston

Our cruising addiction began in April 2012 when my husband and I went on our first cruise with friends for our 40th anniversary. This cruise on the Triumph was our 7th cruise, our 3rd time to be on the Triumph. Our other cruises have been on the Magic. We cruised on the Triumph during June 2012, June 2013 and now June 2014. Although we love the ship, we really prefer 7 day cruises. A 5 day cruise is good for when you are bringing grandchildren, as we did in 2012 and 2013.

Galveston is a couple of hours from where we live. We went by way of the ferry with no problems.

We always use 81st Dolphin for parking. We paid online to get $5 off. We like them because they take you immediately to and from the ship, not waiting to fill up their van. Always tip the driver and always tip the guy who takes your luggage at the port. Smooth embarkation, eating a Guy's Burger and drinking the Fun Ship Special by noon. We were in our room by 1:30. The muster drill on the Triumph is More outside, which is uncomfortable and hot. But it's necessary and it went by really quick. We found our luggage outside our room after that. Watched sailaway from our balcony.

I don't pay much attention to decor, but I think the Triumph is a pretty ship. We always find it easy to get around. Deck 5 goes all the way across and that's how we go down to the dining room. We never smelled any strange odors that others have mentioned on reviews. While eating on the Lido deck, we did notice that the windows needed cleaning. Our balcony room on the Lido deck (port side) was the most forward that we had ever gotten.....very little noticeable ship movement though, no noisy neighbors. Our room had lots of cabinets and drawers. In the bathroom, there are shelves behind a mirror and across is a hair dryer on the wall. Again, we had plenty of places to put things. I think I like the shower better than on the Magic. We both agreed that the beds on both ships are very comfortable. No problems with the room and balcony at all. Our room steward, named Gladys, and her helper kept the room in very good order. I left a note the first day asking for ice and it was there twice a day the rest of our cruise. The towel animals weren't the best I've seen, but that's not THAT important. We tipped her on the second day.

The cruise director is Mike Pack. He was the most visible CD that we have seen. He was all over the ship, trying to speak to everyone. He was full of energy and very funny. The first night we went to the Welcome Aboard Show where we heard some from the comics, John Wessling and Lester Bibbs. They were so funny that we did attend two of their family shows later during the cruise. And, for the first time, we went to the adults only show with Lester, the last night. He was hilarious, but, warning, he does get pretty raunchy.

All the shows were good, Wonderful World and The Big Easy......we had seen them before, but they were both changed up some. The Magician, Anders, basically did the same show, but we enjoyed it.

The show band was great.....not only were they performing in the shows, but also in the Casino Bar area on Deck 5. There was another band that we enjoyed called the Music Alter. We did not care much for the guy in the Lobby. Although he sang well enough, he wasn't Jerry, the guy who we had seen the other two times on the Triumph. We were really looking forward to listening to Jerry.

We did not get off the ship at Progreso and just enjoyed the peace and quiet of the ship. We had gotten off once before at Progreso and all the beggars frightened my grandson. Progreso day we ate too many Guy's Burgers (best hamburgers ever) and I had too many Miami Vice so we were too full and too lazy to make it to dinner. That made the evening a bit slow......we weren't winning on any slots, wasn't a lot of music we were interested in, we didn't attend the talent show, and there wasn't a movie outside because it was Mexican Fiesta night. I think the main thing was Karaoke that night, but we didn't go. But all the other nights we had lots to do. You are on a cruise, so all is good anyway.

Dinner was at 6:00PM, Paris Upper. We had a table for two overlooking the Paris Lower. It was a good place to sit and our wait staff was super. Our team was Sudipta and Ronaldo and one other. Sudipta was the most efficient waiter we have ever had. We enjoyed the food very much. I don't see how anyone can complain about the food. Love that Bitter and Blanc dessert! Also, we asked for Creme Brulee (which was not on the menu) and we got it on the last night....yummy. We tipped our wait team $10 each on the second and last nights. On the last night we also generously tipped the drink guy, Aka....he was everywhere and took good care of us.

We went to Brunch on our first Sea Day. It was excellent. With our free drink coupon, we both enjoyed a Mocha Chocolate Getaway. If you want a table for two, say "table for two" instead of "two". Because if you don't, they will seat you with others....I'm not very sociable at breakfast time! We only ate at the Buffet for breakfast meals. It is organized well and the lines move quickly. Always a good selection of breakfast foods. One night we were up past midnight and got hungry. We ordered grilled cheese sandwiches from room service.....it was prompt and we tipped a couple of dollars. I was thirsty, so I set out looking for a Diet Coke. i found the Lido Aft bar still open, along with the pizza area and the grille where there were hotdogs and grilled ham and cheese. Needless to say, we weren't hungry anymore.

I don't want to forget the Iguana place where you can order a delicious burrito. I ate there for lunch one day, but never did get around to trying it for breakfast. One thing you can say about the Triumph, there is plentiful good food.

On Cozumel day, we rode the taxi ($14+$1 tip) to Paradise Beach (2nd time there), arriving at about 9:30. Entrance is $3 each, but you must order at least $10 worth of food. That is easy to do and the food is always good. We enjoyed nachos and margaritas and the beautiful day. Headed back to the shopping area at around 2:00 where we did a little shopping and headed on to the ship. There were 4 ships there that day, but I didn't noticed it to be crowded anywhere.

All in all, a good cruise with great weather. We chose to put our luggage outside our door on the last night. Our debarkation number was 19, but it wasn't a bad wait at all. We had a leisurely breakfast and sat out on the Lido Deck waiting with our carry-ons. Down in the Lobby area, it seemed to be well organized. Once you get off the ship and you get your luggage guy, you are quickly through customs and on your way to the shuttle. I felt sorry for all those self-assist people with all their luggage in those very, very long lines. Love the Triumph, but probably won't sail on her again. (Sorry this is so long.) Less

Read more Carnival Triumph cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Triumph Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Triumph Balcony Lido 9218

Plenty of room, plenty of storage areas. Bed is very comfortable. The couch is not very comfortable, but serves the purpose. Balcony with 2 chairs and table.....great for drinking coffee in the morning. Plenty of hot water in the shower.