Majesty of the Seas Cruise Review by johnnycakes2: Well, it's not all bad...

johnnycakes2
Member Since 2014
1 Post

Cabin Not Rated
Family & Children 4.0

Compare Prices on Majesty of the Seas Bahamas Cruises

Well, it's not all bad...

Sail Date: June 2014
Destination: Bahamas

I guess you really do get what you pay for. The price for our three night cruise was great - the experience though was average at best.

The Majesty has been around for a long time, and it shows. Despite a recent renovation, the ship still feels dated. It just lacks the glitz and amenities of more modern ships.

As for individual topics:

Getting on the ship was no problem. There were lines, but they moved along fairly quickly. No complaints there.

Once on the ship, I can't say I was completely disappointed in any one thing - but the experience itself never wowed me.

The food in the Windjammer buffet was okay for the most part. Not spectacular, but edible and plentiful. The pizza in Sorrento's was pretty much freezer quality - but it was available pretty much around the clock. The food in the main dining room was not bad, but really no better than you would typically find in any chain restaurant. Our dinner service was excellent though. Our More waiter was the highlight of the trip.

Our ports were Coco Cay, which was pretty much as expected - and Nassau, which was pretty much ughh.

Coco Cay seemed designed to extract as much money from your wallet as possible. I'm not a huge beach person, but I will say that if you could find an uncrowded spot, that the beach and water were very nice.

Nassau was really disappointing. Maybe it was the time of day we arrived or something - but trying to get out of the dock area just to walk around a bit was a pain. I realize the cruise line has no control of this situation, but it was hard to take a step without being approached to hire a taxi, rent a scooter, take a tour, go on a carriage ride, etc. Considering that there really isn't anything for sale in Nassau that I couldn't get in Miami, unless going on some sort of organized excursion, I won't even bother getting off the ship if we ever return.

What else... Well, even though there were "activities" organized, with a few exceptions, they really weren't all that entertaining. Other than sitting around the pool, there just never really seemed like all that much to do.

The ship had a large number of teen tour groups from South America when we sailed. The kids were for the most part well behaved and courteous. The only downside is that they tended to move around in large groups, so areas / lines / elevators could get crowded very quickly.

As for the cabin, Well, let's just say there's not much to say, That's because there wasn't much cabin. We had an ocean view stateroom on the 4th level. The room is supposed to sleep 4. Of course 2 of those will have to sleep in tiny fold down bunks that actually extend over the main bed. I guess if you have small children the beds can work, but one of my "kids" is a six foot tall 190lb, fifteen year old. We were fairly concerned that he would come crashing down on us in the middle of the night. I realize that the bathrooms are going to be small, but not this small. I could actually stand in the middle of it and reach from the shower wall to the opposite wall. On the plus side, the toilet worked.

On the entertainment side - the shows were fairly average. There were 2 comedians, one who was pretty good, one who wasn't. The casino is pretty small. A lot of slots though. I'm not sure what the smoking policy is in the casino, but they seriously need to invest in some air filters. You could smell the place half way down the hall. After spending ten minutes in there, my clothes smelled like the ashtray at a biker bar.

One plus is that my youngest liked the kid's club, and looked forward to spending a couple of hours there while we took in the shows.

Getting off the boat was fairly easy because we were traveling with family members who were members of one of the frequent cruisers clubs. We were able to get a priority exit as a group.

Overall, I probably wouldn't travel on this boat again as it doesn't go to any ports I really care to visit again, and even if I wanted to - I would look for a more updated ship with bigger cabins and more amenities. Less

Read more Majesty of the Seas cruise reviews >>