Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by Caribbean Amphibean: A Fine Celebrity Experience

Caribbean Amphibean
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Celebrity Summit Bermuda Cruises

A Fine Celebrity Experience

Sail Date: June 2014
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: Bayonne (Cape Liberty)

I cruised with DW and another couple on Summit June 1 and I was a little nervous because of the remarks I heard on CC reviews. Keeping it short, here are a few points:

Got the champagne while boarding - some folks say that they missed it. Bayonne is still an odd embarkation: You get your sea pass then board a bus to get to the ship a hundred yards or so away. You board on the lowest deck, rather than going up a ramp to Deck 5 like in Ft. Lauderdale. This creates a bottleneck, but being on a cruise, I'll take it.

We had the Classic package as part of the 123 Go offer. Not sure if I could ever sail without one again! Contrary to what we heard, we were always served promptly and courteously. In Main Dining, our wine steward was prompt and attentive. She always recommended a pairing that fit in the package and never made us feel bad for not buying bottles. Throughout the ship, there was plenty to drink. If I was on S class, I might have felt sad not getting unlimited More Molecular Bar drinks, but Summit doesn't have one, and I can skip sweet martinis. I drank a lot of Heineken Lights and I liked the Dark & Stormy. And wine at dinner. And club sodas, water bottles, and specialty coffees.

Food was very enjoyable: Main dining room, Qsine, had great service. I have had sushi on S Class ships before and found it to be not the best, but this sushi in the buffet was really varied and delicious. I'd skip desert at dinner so I could stop up for a little sashimi after. Now, the buffet gets a lot of complaints, and I have to say that, while the food was fine, the setup is a little odd, and requires more cruising around to find what you want than S-Class (which has a very good central setup). There was very little scooping of your own food. Rather, there were dishes and baskets that were already loaded. Probably reduces contamination, but if you just want a little scrambled egg, it's tough to get.

Entertainment was much better than expected. Little duos, and an array of interesting (and not loud) surprises that were fun to listen to. Sometimes the pool deck got loud, but not always, and I could move to the other areas. I really did roar at the comedian; he was a hoot. The shows with singers and dancers didn't seem hokey like on other cruises; on the contrary, the acts were constructed to be very high energy and the performers and musicians were definitely up to it.

Bermuda is fine, but I am not crazy about the port being on one end of the island. But it is what it is. I did do a Segway tour (not offered by Celebrity, but you just arrange it a short distance from the dock). It was one highlight of the trip. We learned how to use them, were led around town, then we went off to a park and a beach out of town. We had a lot of fun. I also hiked by myself on the Railway Trail and climbed Gibbs Lighthouse. It was a nice way to get some exercise.

I like Blackjack, but the casino only had tables $10 and up. I just used my matching Captain's Club vouchers, and not much more. I know I would have gambled a LOT more on $5 tables, but I was content to watch my DW use the slots. I wonder if Celebrity really does make more money this way.

I had been on Summit a few years ago, and I still like it. I don't want to denigrate the experiences that others may have complained about, but I did not find the same experience. I would go again. Especially with that drink package! Less

Read more Celebrity Summit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Summit Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Summit 8122

The Concierge class cabin was comfy with a slightly larger balcony, but I didn't need the other amenities. But the up charge was pretty small.The location was good, and there was little noise.