Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by Dj-Brian-D: Another Summit Success

Compare Prices on Celebrity Summit Bermuda Cruises

Another Summit Success

Sail Date: June 2014
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: Bayonne (Cape Liberty)

Celebrity Summit June 22nd –June 29th 2014  Destination – Bermuda

This is my third trip on the Summit and the third trip to Bermuda, does that make me a local now….

The Summit never fails to give me what I want out of my cruise vacation, ok so it does not have all the bells and whistles that some of the other ships have… but it what it does have is the olde worlde cruise charm with modern luxury thrown in.

Embarkation at Port Liberty, Bayonne New Jersey was fast, simple and very easy…. Within 30 minutes of arrival at the port I had my luggage out of the car: car parked up for the week and processed to the point where I was onboard the ship. The bar was open, the café was open so the two basics in life food and drink was taken care of. Around 1:00 pm we got the call to say the State Rooms were available.. so we gladly headed on down to get into it and relieve ourselves of the little bit of hand luggage we had. More

The Stateroom was like any other State Room… small but comfortable.. but hey that is all you need you do not go on vacation to spend time in your room. The room was clean, well presented and although a little musty smell permeated the bathroom, (no matter what line I have travelled on it exists) it was still a good space. Throughout the week our stateroom was cleaned daily, anything we asked for or needed was delivered, the beds comfortable and the balcony adequately sized for two.

SO now we have the stateroom out of the way let’s talk about the food.. like any cruise there is a ton of it, but Celebrity has done something different in the buffet and pool grills. They have created a nice portion contro9l system with entrees in bowl’s salads in bowl’s and French fries in baskets (Kudos to Celebrity), this helps avoid the plate mountains I was so used to seeing, and each entrée is balanced between protein and veg or grain. Yes you can still create your own salad or select the protein from the carvery..and you can still eat more than one entrée but the one thing I noticed was a huge reduction in wasted food where people did not pile their plates high and just leave it behind. For breakfast it follows a similar trend… and again you can have a full high piled plate if you so desire from the fresh eggs bar or the waffles and pancakes. The rest of our eating experience consisted of Blu… a fabulous little restaurant that is associated with travelling Aqua Class… and no fixed dining times… not huge portions but with all the other food this was a pleasant relief… food was worthy of Michelin Star restaurant and service was excellent. To complete the dining experience we tried Qsine… this is a quirky fun filled food frolic…. Everyone has to try it. The menu is an iPad… and the choices cover the world of food and the food of the world all in one fell swoop……..the food is fabulous and the service amazing…..

Ok, what about the entertainment…. The Theatre shows are what you expect on board a cruise ship and then some more.. the performers and the performance art performers were amazing…. I am sure that the Captain was one of the performers in disguise as he was witty and comical on each occasion that we met… and he had a Go Pro strapped to his wrist that became part of his performance recording each Go Pro Moment he could well don Captain Demetrious…. They also had two guest acts on board Michelle Ballan a fabulous comic and guest Broadway Star Christine Andreas from 54 Below who really could sing. The main other act I saw was a fantastic singer call Jordan Peterson… who in my mind deserves a bigger slot on the main stage than he gets.. There was a unique mix of Dj’s on board and the DJ Duo who played in the main foyer were amazing.. nice beats and rhythmic drum playing… they had a few dj’s that played in various locations…. But the one thing I miss was the personality dj who engages the crowd and entertains them…..

There are number of them parties throughout the week including a 70’s Latin sizzle and a frozen party … a unique take on the White Party theme, but for me the best night was indulgence an brand new them and exclusive night. This them night has a burlesque like flavor topped with wonderful food and amazing cocktails. The performance artists were out in force with contortionists and gymnastics galore along with some wonderful songstress’s, ok the catch is there is a charge but it is limited to a small number of people in the cruise… Like Qsine… I really do recommend this to all to try.

Every hour of everyday there is something to do … Art Auction, Dance Lesson’s Trivia Quiz, Bingo and so much more…..so many activities so little time

Bermuda itself is a beautiful Island… the beaches are amazing… soft sand that does not seem to get hot…. Azure clear blue ocean and a lot of history. This being our third visit included a little bit of thrill seeking in Jet Skis and Horse Riding. For the horse riding we avoided the main center Spicelands and headed to Mike Watsons trail rides and this was a good choice. Mike is a real character…who takes you on the trail himself a native of Bermuda he is well versed in the history and will stop along the way to give you information. This was a nice 90 minute ride through the old railway to the beach and if you have experience some of it is at a jog or cantor pace.

A must see is St Georges…a beautiful little town 40 minutes from the Royal Dockyard by ferry well worth a visit with amazing photo ops on every corner, ally way and street.

I give Celebrity an A++ rating for both the destination and the ship…. I have already rebooked next year and can’t wait to once again get on board The Beautiful Celebrity Summit This is Brian not from the Bridge out(if you have been onboard you will know this reference) Less

Read more Celebrity Summit cruise reviews >>