Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by HJ Bear: Dull, and couldn't wait to get off

HJ Bear
Member Since 2013
1 Post

Compare Prices on Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Transatlantic Cruises

Dull, and couldn't wait to get off

Sail Date: June 2014
Destination: Transatlantic
Embarkation: Southampton

Just got off a transatlantic crossing on the Queen Mary 2, and it was the first cruise I was happy to get off. Service, activities, luxuries? Not on this ship.

First the service. The crew on this ship looked like you should be serving them. Six days before I heard a good morning out of any of them. Five days before anyone in the dinning room offered to refill a glass. It was a good thing I could get up to fill a glass myself, or both of us would've died of thirst. The service in Kings Court was also horrendous. The food choices were minimal at best. I don't know how many times we saw food bins half empty, and nobody refilling them. Just not the friendliest, or most attentive crew I've ever seen. Our muster drill alone had people sitting on treadmills in the fitness center, and most of the passengers that attended would've died before they ever made it to a lifeboat. The crew had no idea who was there, or who was missing. They really didn't look like they cared. It was a just More going through the motion thing for them.

Activities on this ship are a joke. First, it was like a floating nursing home. I didn't know if I needed to laugh, or cry when I read scarf tying on the daily activity list. I realized I should cry when napkin folding was on the list for the next day. Seriously? If you didn't read, hit the fitness center, or play some type of board, or card games your choices are limited. Being out on deck is always iffy crossing the Atlantic, but the indoor activities left a lot to be desired. The lectures were not the most exciting at sea either to hold interest for a whole hour, or day. The planetarium, well sitting on deck at midnight would probably be more enjoyable. The cabin TV channel selection was to be nice, sucked.

The ship was clean, but not luxurious. The smell of cigar smoke could be smelled in hallways, and different parts of the ship. If you have any kind of smoke allergy this is not a good thing. Our cabin shower was large compared to other ships, but not something I'm looking for to book a cruise. Having crossed over to Europe on the Royal Princess the Queen Mary 2 seemed like a freighter compared to the Royal. Luxury? No. Boring? Yes.

Now most people ask about the dress code. During the day it's no big deal. Everything from old ladies wearing their best jewels to people wearing workout shorts, and t-shirts. However, it is very obvious once you board they are anal about having you formally dressed after 6 PM. So much so we witnessed them stacking the deck chairs on all the aft decks at 5:45, so if you wanted to sit out on deck, to bad. They pretty much forced everyone inside to dress for the evening. For the people that didn't want to play along at 6 PM you knew that was your curfew time to head for your cabin. Evening show? Not really welcomed without the proper dress. However anyone that wants to blow them off just fix sandwiches at lunch to put in you cabin refrigerator for dinner, do laundry, or go workout.

If you travel on the Queen Mary 2 just take it for what it is, transportation to cross the Atlantic. If your looking for anything else you will be disappointed. Less

Read more Queen Mary 2 (QM2) cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Review >>

Cabin review: Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Standard Inside Deck 6 6019

Cabin was nice, but under the fitness center. Every time someone dropped weights on the floor above your head it sounded like a bomb going off, so be prepared. Also, felt a lot of motion in rough seas this far forward. If you have any kind of motion sickness issues this cabin is not for you. Move farther back in the ship.